Auxiliary Fan Replacement

You still want to make sure the foam is good and the two flaps below the E Fan are sealing when it runs.
Dan

No… but I do have a…ah, acquired “Koala Xing” sign…:smiling_imp:

looks very nice! Good work Greg

Looks excellent. Nice coat of paint, like you care what it looks like.

Nice! Looks like it was made that way!

Thanks guys! Took me an hour longer than I expected. Cutting/drilling/filing 1/8" aluminum is tougher than I thought!

You’ve all really turned me onto using Por15 rust preventive coating. The glossy black dries to a very nice shiny surface. I also painted my expansion tank and crossover pipe.

Very nice work, Greg. I’m sure it will serve well.

Fan blade looks backwards. Is it reversible?

I’m pretty sure it’s pointing correctly…I’ll bench test it to be sure.

Yes, it’s reversible if need be.

I’m probably stating the obvious… “reversible” means that the blade will need to be flipped… those blades are directional, simply reversing the polarity won’t cut it…

The fan was sold as a puller, but I was wrong, it’s NOT reversible. The blades only fit on one way.

When I bench test it, I will watch to see which way my finger blood goes.

2 Likes

FWIW, to me it looks fine. The leading edge of the blade will be the convex side (bowed out) so in the pic above the fan would rotate counter-clockwise. It looks like the convex side leading edge is pitched forward (closer to front of car) than the trailing edge so it would be a puller when rotating CCW. That and $5 will get you a coffee.

1 Like

I bench tested, and fan pulls as intended. Original foam and flaps look good. (!)

Took me an hour to re-attach! I see why removing cowl is easier, but where there’s a will, there’s a way. in case it helps anybody else:

1. I disconnected fan/adapter from spider frame, and set fan gently inside cowl opening by itself.
  2. I fit spider frame’s three prongs into cowl holes. Make sure threads are clean and lubed!
  3. Using my finger/thumb between cowl and radiator, I easily started washer and nuts for top two threads while holding spider frame with other hand.
  4. using one hand to lift fan out of way, I put on washer and started nut for bottom thread with other hand. This one is definitely tricky, gotta use the two finger approach, as I couldn’t fit thumb in there.
  5. I was able to tighten all three nuts down by finger/thumb in between cowl and radiator. This is where lubed and clean threads are a must.
  6. using 7/16" open end wrench, I easily tightened outside nuts (on engine side of cowl) for top two.
  7. From underneath (or above, but you can’t see) I tightened lower nut (on engine side of cowl). This one is tough.
  8. Now that spider frame is connected nice and tight, attach fan to spider frame.
    Done!

Fans whirligigs and propelors!!!

Off topic, just a bit.

1, Boring TV and poor weather led me to You tube via my Vizio smart TV. Fantasy of Flight.
Flight in a giant Martin Mars, “The Hawaian”. A giant four engine sea plane. Glorious restoration. The host and lead pilot told of the ability to reverse the inboard engines and with the out boards not running, move the craft backwards. Only in the water!!! Reverse running of the big radials??? Reverse the adjustable prop blades ? The latter seems the way.

1. I have a Mallard “whirligig” atop a pole in my patio. The “wings” are wind driven propeller blades. Forward, in sync or opposite? Resolved. each forward. Ooops. Lost a wing. Project refasten to the hubs I’ve remade more than once. The body is on a swivel, so the bird heads with the wind in “flight”.

Last time, I refreshed his/her colors, I found Ford A engine paint just right for the body!!!
Orange beak, blue neck!!! All from my paint “locker”.

Oh, American Pickers’ Frank and Mike prize signs !!! Any and all. some more so than others, but…

Carl

You reverse the blade pitch: it’s inefficient, but plenty to back the plane.

727s could also be backed, by using the reverser buckets.

Thanks.

Agree, reverse pitch the prop blades must be the way. Hard to imagine reversing the rotation of the big radial engines.

As to the jets, yes, Same buckets as used to brake the plane on landing. A sure aid to the brakes on the wheels.

Can’t recall if that big AF cargo plane was prop driven or jet. I’m inclined to think prop.

Carl

So aux fan is in. I turned on ignition to test it, and it always comes on.

If i turn the interior fan off, the aux fan shuts off. I removed my A/C system a while ago. I know this aux fan is supposed to come on if ac is on, but I turned interior temp up to heat and no diff. I don’t see an A/C on/off switch.

I tested aux temp switch by shorting it and turning off interior fan. Aux fan comes on, but when I turned off ignition and removed keys, it still ran. After 2 minutes, I removed short cause it seemed like it would never shutoff. So this means my aux fan will continue to run after shut down until aux temp comes down? I thought this feature didn’t exist. Or could PO have wired it this way?

I see the blue relay near the MC. I disconnected the top wire which seems to make aux fan only come on with aux temp sender, not with interior fan switch. Seems ok?

1988 XJS V12

???

Thanks

Greg,
Do you have a copy of the Drivers Handbook, the Parts Catalogue and the S57 Electrical Guide for your year and model XJ-S? In my opinion these documents are needed to properly operate, maintain, and especially modify these cars. Having these documents, along with the Repair Operations Manual (ROM) will take a lot of the mystery (and misery) out of working on these cars. :slight_smile:
My answers to your questions and comments are provided below.

So aux fan is in. I turned on ignition to test it, and it always comes on.

PMN: This is not right unless the engine temperature was above the trip point for the electric Cooling Fan Thermostat, I suspect that you have a wiring error, a failed component or an incorrect component in place. Take picture of the components on the left side of the engine bay (yellow Cooling Fan Relay, black Horn Relay, blue Diode Pack) and post it so that I can see if anything is incorrect (at least compared to my wife’s 1990 XJ-S convertible).

If i turn the interior fan off, the aux fan shuts off. I removed my A/C system a while ago. I know this aux fan is supposed to come on if ac is on, but I turned interior temp up to heat and no diff. I don’t see an A/C on/off switch.

PMN: The Drivers Handbook for my wife’s 1990 XJ-S convertible has a detailed write up on the Climate Control System starting on page 86. To turn on the climate control system you need to rotate the Blower Fan Switch, the large knob on the right side of the Climate Control Panel, from the OFF position to the LOW, NORM or HIGH positions. In my wife’s 1990 XJ-S convertible (A/C is inoperative right now due to a refrigerant leak but all other modes work OK) the Auxiliary Cooling Fan does not automatically come on when the Blower Fan Switch is moved out of the OFF position. I suppose it is possible that your Model Year car is supposed to come on but ours does not.

I tested aux temp switch by shorting it and turning off interior fan. Aux fan comes on, but when I turned off ignition and removed keys, it still ran. After 2 minutes, I removed short cause it seemed like it would never shutoff. So this means my aux fan will continue to run after shut down until aux temp comes down? I thought this feature didn’t exist. Or could PO have wired it this way?
PMN: The Blue Diode Pack keeps the Auxiliary Cooling Fan running after engine shutdown if the electrical Cooling Fan Thermostat is above the temperature to close the internal switch. It was designed this way. This is covered in the Drivers Handbook.

I see the blue relay near the MC. I disconnected the top wire which seems to make aux fan only come on with aux temp sender, not with interior fan switch. Seems ok?

PMN: That Blue component is the Cooling Fan Diode Pack not a relay. The Cooling Fan Relay in my wife’s car is yellow and it is the most forward component on the left engine bay bracket. I am not sure what disconnecting the wires will do as I haven’t done that. Maybe others have.

Paul

I have the drivers handbook. Not much help.

I also read a lot of archives now, and it sounds like the system changed in 89, so mine is very different than your wife’s 90.

Also, it sounds like 88 and back, if you had the climate fan on, the a/c was always on, hence the aux fan was always on.

Yeah, that’s how it’s supposed to work. Once off, though, it cannot come back on. Some of us chose to rewire so it could come back on if needed, just to make sure heat soak could be addressed.