Auxiliary petrol tank

Anyone have any clues about how the XK120 racing accessory aux fuel tank was mounted or plumbed ?
Karl

I have a few details and photos as we had one such car here in Australia and I have seen a second car in the UK
terry
tmcgrath@bigpond.com

Terry,
All I have found is reference to a special brace when the tank is fitted.

Might you post the information here ?

Thank you.

Karl

Rob,

Many thanks.

After a major move to a farm on the Eastern Shore and no attention to the car for about 8 years, I am back in the saddle and could not find my SPMnow hidden in a box somewhere in some farm outbuilding or another.

It is amazing how much more information is now available since the judging guides were done.

Karl

Here is a picture i found on the web of what appears to be a possible example of the auxiliary tank.

a definite absolute no !!!
regards terry

Terry,

Do you have any photos you might share ?

Karl

Karl, LWK 707, the XK120 FHC that set the seven day and seven night record, had the auxiliary fuel tank. The video below (@5:15) gives a brief glimpse of the boot and the auxiliary tank.

this is not the standard customer supplied auxillary fuel tank

Mike,
Thanks for the post. I find myself painted into a corner. Perhaps 40 - 50 years ago I purchased two “copies” of the supposed aux tank. The seller is now long deceased, and with our retirement move to the farm I cannot right now locate the tanks having put aside my XK120 restoration work for about 10 years while we rebuilt the farm. My notes show that one of the two tanks was an original and one a reproduction made up using the original, (which I recall was badly wasted away) and not useable, but a nice pattern. I will continue my search, and am pretty sure the tanks are here in some old barn or chicken coop, but I was trying to make preps for the various bits needed to make a working installation.

Terry,

I would love to try to pin down what the parts as listed in the SPC looked like.

Do you have, or know of, any sources of information or photographs of the “real things”.

The only public domain information I have found is photographs of the LWK 707 installation . I was told that this setup was swapped from HKV 500, but that does not mean it is in conformance with the final “factory” parts, if any were ever actually manufactured.

Thank you.

Karl

Terry,

I am prettty sure the tank I have is not the factory supplied main tank. What was done is to fill the notch for the spare wheel and add a bump on the rear. That does not leave enough space aft of it for the aux tank to be fitted there, but that seems to be the configuration that is shown in the LWK 707 pictures. You have said that the 707 installation is not the factory supplied configuration. The main tank appears to have been raised in height to increase the gallonage as well as filling in the spare wheel notch. There seems to be a weld seam running horizontally across the fafter side of the main tank; does that look original to you ?
Thank you.
Karl