Barris XK120 does it again

Am I a philistine because I like the look of the production headlight spears and rear number plate plinth and light?

In person the car looks wonderful…
It’s very clean and the flow line is great
Compared to other barris cars it’s so restrained it also has to do with this
See the comparison?

In a few years it’ll be ‘Clark who?’ just before ‘Johnny who?’

My kids are in their 30’s and have seen maybe one of Gable’s movies and nothing of Carson. Does anyone care where Buster Keaton’s cars are? Harpo Marx’s?

Cinema’s golden age has passed.

…sorry, waxing nostalgic for a moment. I’m feeling better now Dave. Would you like to hear a song?

1 Like

Mitchell I had my fun with it and it was a neat piece to enjoy.
You are dead on, I predicted the car collapse 4 years ago, for anyone over 50 ish there will be a market.
A market shrinking by the day.
I will enjoy and die with my cars BUT
Like a horse and buggy, like black and white tv with a television tube
The bud is off the rose
Auctions if any have a real sales rate of 35 percent after the shilling phony phone bidders and all
We are the last
My buddy picked up a deusey which he did well in life and always wanted
He had up to 1.6 million to buy his dreAm the bidding stopped at 650,000 he won and said I can’t believe it!
Now that extreme but it’s all changing
Enjoy your time we are 10 percent of the population in 10 years
Well…
Gtjoey1314

2 Likes
1 Like

But for now, I still enjoy the thumbs up I get from other drivers. Turning into Albertsons yesterday a woman in another vehicle headed out yelled “That’s my favorite car!” A fellow at the station where I was pumping no ethanol Came over and chatted. While the market will probably wither, the interest will be around longer than we are

1 Like

the more we drive our XKs, the more people will see them, and some of them will drool and yearn to have one some day. Stop now and then at busy places…just to cool off, stretch…and so that folks can approach , see, talk . maybe even sit in the drivers seat.

Gtjoey wrote:
You are dead on, I predicted the car collapse 4 years ago, for anyone over 50 ish there will be a market.
A market shrinking by the day.

Joey;
I will “mostly” agree… the caveat is, there ARE some “thirty somethings” out there who are “car guys”… One, my 34 y/o son and his “running buddies” are “4WD Guys” who like early '90’s Four Runners (aka Yotas) to go climbing around on HUGE rocks. (I’m also working on getting MY '74 FJ-40 LandCruiser, that I bought new in Dec '73, back to being “Off-Road Worthy” ;-} to “show-up” these whipper-snappers. I might add that my “40” has a 429cid Cadillac V-8 & a “beefed-up” TH400 stuffed in it… It CAN climb walls!!)
Even my 12y/o grand-daughter wants a Jeep so SHE can go “wheeling”!! So, there
is “HOPE” for the future! ;-}
Charles #677556.

Charles
Again , We will die with the gasoline automobile
In the next 24/36 months there will be dramatic shifts of a new culture and government regulations.
You will be considered either an OLD MAN which we are OR the Killers of the planet.
It’s starting from the top down.
It will be a battle but for us we will enjoy it.
The young crowd overall does not care.
They will never have the income or passion as they are being programmed as we watch on the news that everything WE have created was BAD, WRONG or Injustice…
It starts from the top
In the next 4 weeks Mercedes will announce
Pulling out of all car shows due to political pressure, environmental pressure and a savings of 3 billion a year!
Yes that’s their total budget for adverts and shows!
Porsche,Aston ,Jaguar will all follow
They are being tailed by watch groups, confronted and vandalized
In the Northeast it’s already happening as shows are not being renewed besides COVID due to pressure groups which you will find out soon enough
Just my inside take from seeing things
Enjoy your ride, we will have them but not as long as you think!
Gtjoey1314

Not “everything:” that’s the precise kind of absolutism that adds to the mess.

“WE” (and we’ll assume, for the purpose of this car discussion, that’s folks born during the mid- to late-20th century) have indeed created things that are bad, wrong, and socially-unjust.

Cars, up to 1999, were not great for the environment, but WE have made massive and impressive efforts to clean that act up.

It–the car industry–wasn’t created on purpose to be bad and wrong, but as we evolved, to recognize those parts that were, we began seeing it really was t sustainable.

There are those ho are going down, kicking and screaming, and that’s OK: all dinosaurs must evolve, or die.

This last week, at Bonneville, I saw lots of old-school rat rods, and most were piloted-and built!–by 20-to-50 year olds. I trust and hope there will be those who appreciate these old bad-and-wrong cars, and keep them running and alive.

Bit of a problem with Gable being in Barris’s shop late 1952/early 1953: Gable was not even in the country (USA) at the time. It is well recorded that Gable was in England, Europe and Africa from the first half of 1952 until December 1953, making films and saving tax. He collected his new XK120 672282 in England in 1952 and drove it in Europe. He later sent it back to the USA. The Barris car with the hard top 672623 was despatched from the works to the USA in August 1952 - Gable was not there.