Battery size for series 2 XJ6

I need a new battery for 1977 XJ6 with 1993 LT1 and 700r4 from a corvette.
I have been using a group 75 size battery with side connections (same as used in the 1993 corvette). It is a tight fit in the space on the passenger side by the windshield wiper motor, the original space designated for theXJ6’s battery.
I would like to get one a little smaller, any suggestions?
Thanks,
Patrick

Patrick, smaller would be ok as far as cranking power, but it needs to locate well in the hold down bracket. Johns Cars used to make a nice stainless hold down frame, made from 1/2" stainless angle formed in a rectangle to fit the battery, two tabs welded on for the hold down rods. I still have one, could make one similar for a smaller battery.

what size crank amps are you using, that’s the main key

Thanks! Mine has 650 CCA.
Online, I found some good battery size charts. Group 70 size is 1 inch shorter in length than my group 75. Width and height are exactly the same size. That’s exactly what I’m looking for. I will look for a group 70 size with 650 CCA.

Thanks for the offer of making a battery hold down. If I can find a group 70 size, with the battery width, the same as group 75, my current battery hold down will work.

I bought this battery last week from Advance, fits the car and the hold down frame perfectly. I think a group 78, Same exact dimensions as the original hold down frame.

That is nice!

Prices for batteries are varied from the different parts stores. I have not found a resonable price for the group 70 size. Group 75 and 78 are in stock with the lowest price being $90.00.

While I’m searching I fit a group 78 from my suburban in the jag. I have a lot of wire harness and fuse box in the area, adding to the tight fit. I tried to photo my battery hold down at rhe bottom of the battery, but can’t see it with my radiator overflow tank and lines in the way.