Battery strap size

With the ongoing engine compartment refurb, I’m looking at the battery strap.

It was bent well out of shape but now got it right, with the corners where they should be. Only thing is, it nowhere fits the battery now - length is right but depth about 2 or 3" short. Were batteries narrower and longer back in the day ? Can’t say I recall their being so.

So wondering about lengthening the side straps accordingly, or putting in spacers of some kind. Or have I got the whole thing wrong somehow ?

Thought, anyone ?

Thanks

I don’t know exactly what you’re describing, but the battery strap on my Mk2 has long bolts that attach to the firewall, maybe 5 or 6 inches long. It looks like it would fit flush against the firewall but it doesn’t, it’s hugs the battery and then long bolts connect it to the threaded holes in the firewall.

Same type used on my 3.8S. Not sure what model Mr. Richards is working with.

Yes 2 long brass bolts !

The parts list mentions a felt, 5x11" under the battery, and plate 101 shows the felt approximately 1" less deep than the battery, so 6x11 or 6x12 would seem to be the size.

As Theo says, one would expect the lugs on the ends to go against the bulkhead, but if they don’t then it all makes sense, if somewhat bizarre sense - why not make the thing to fit in the first place ?

Yes, I do have the long bolts, or one anyway, the strap had been bent about so that one end did fit against the bulkhead using the shorter modern battery, so will make up another long bolt.

Thanks, everyone, for the replies and partic. the pictures and, as always, for solving the problem !

Presumably because some bright spark pointed out that different markets might not supply exactly the same size battery.

I’m a bit mystified as to why the bolts would be brass though. If I remember my corrosion tables, with brass and steel it is the steel which is anodic and disappears faster (think of HCL fumes in the area). It’s not so bad if the strap dissolves… but the captive threads in the body would be a bit of a problem.

May I note that a rubber strip goes between the battery and the metal “strap bracket” You could make this out of an old inner tube or purchase from the usual suspects. Insulate the terminals to avoid a short circuit if moving the battery in and out as it is a heavy beast at this angle.

Gerard

I was surprised how small a XJS battery is , had to give one a jump a few years back , in the carpark of the N.E.C , very small battery in the boot !

Thanks, Ian and Gerard. That battery must be longer than mine as I have quite a gap at each end and will thus have to reinforce the strap along the front to stop it bending back when tightening. Yes, got the rubber strip already from Manners, Gerard - thanks.

Converted our car to an alternator and -ve earth about 5 years ago, so much better, but non-original of course.

I took the size of the strap and went and got a battery to fit !

Yeah, I’ll do that next time too !