Battery type for 1975 series 2

Hello all,

Sorry if my question has already been answered but I’ve tried searching and I’m still struggling for answers.

I have just dragged a 1975 Daimler Sovereign LWB out of a barn and slowly getting it ready to get it back onto the road. I’m now at the stage I need a battery for it that’ll fit inside the silly box thing preferably without shorting out!

Could someone please tell me the correct type of battery?

I’m thinking it might be an 069 type?

Hope someone can help

My '74 XJ12L which is Left Hand Drive has a size 26R battery, with ground near the fender and positive near the engine. For a Right Hand Drive car the battery may have opposite terminals.
https://www.jegs.com/Sizecharts/bcigroup.html

Eyebrows,

don’t know where you’re located nor what engine is in your car.

I found it hard to source a straightforward replacement battery for the Lucas Pacemaker originally used in my car, so I got myself one of the rectangular braces - I think from SIII cars or from XJS cars - and omitted the original cage with no ill effect so far. Then you’ve got plenty of space. I fitted a Banner UniBull 69 Ah 50300 https://www.carfeature.de/de/batterien/11720/banner-uni-bull-50300-69ah?sPartner=278912, as it has four poles and easily fits into the battery compartment. It has been in use since 2015 and I’m quite happy with it. Recently the battery got the engine going after some 6 weeks of non-use without any problems.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. I’m based in the UK with a RHD car (means the terminals are the opposite way around). Interesting thought about the rectangular braces, I could sort something like that, I guess I was hoping there would be a battery size that was known to fit without any trouble.

There is really no ‘correct’ type of battery, Eyebrows - just get the biggest one that will fit inside silly box thing.

Incidentally, the battery box was ideally suited for the batteries then available - new standards…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sopv Europe (UK/NZ)

I cant remember the battery type number, the battery seller usually has a book that gives that for each car, but I fit the strongest (~620CCA) regular battery that will fit in the XJ battery box space, with terminals in the right spot. It is used in other large cars/4wds out here in RHD Oz

The spec for a S2 V12 is 505CCA

Previously used as low as 450CCA for the XJ6. but that was a bit marginal

Eyebrows,

I would have loved to keep that original black ventilated box in the engine bay. The problem is you aren’t only limited in length and width, but also in height, as you can’t access the poles, if the battery is too flat. Then you have to put the battery on wooden “hijackers” and there is no defined way to fix any smaller battery within the box. If it is too high it will foul the bonnet with ill effect. That’s why I gave in and put that black box in a shelf …

The SIII bracket can be used with the original clamps and holds a greater variety of batteries firmly in position. The engine bay will get pretty warm, but not that much more than in other cars - maybe that’s why Jaguar omitted the boxes for SIII cars anyhow.The battery I suggested has four poles to adapt to “opposite” installations and fits nicely into my RHD car.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Make some measurements and sketch it out to make everything fit when
you go to a store for a good battery.
Walter