Beautiful car...is that a Mustang?

I enjoy the looks i get driving in my XJ-S, mainly because most people under 60 have no clue what it is! :slight_smile:

Yesterday, in parking lot, guy (40?) complimented how beautiful my car was, ‘Is that a Mustang?’…“uh, no, its a Jaguar.”

2 Likes

I’d of told him its a Mustang wanna be :laughing:

I would have said the opposite, no they (Mustangs) are Jaguar wannabes, just to be different. :joy:

2 Likes

I was returning to my parked XJR-S and two older ladies approached me, one of them was admiring the car, saying how beautiful it was. The other asked if she could touch it, I said sure. She ran her hand over the body work. She then told me she was blind and was just curious. I ended up with two admirers.

6 Likes

Ha, it’s fun driving this car sometimes, because of who tries to keep up with you. A newish Mercedes SUV, wouldn’t let me pass at 50mph (speed limit was 40, and I didn’t want to go any faster).

So we’re side by side going into a tight turn, I keep her at 50 with my Gaz shocks, and the SUV tries to keep up with me. A few seconds later, all i see in my rear view mirror is a Mercedes SUV way back there tilting pretty badly and slowing way down. LOL

Oh, and so I was able to make my lane change :wink:

1 Like

I had someone ask if it was a Delorean one time and I thought that was great!:joy: minutes later I had a mustang revving on me at the stoplight and I waved as she destroyed the tires through the intersection. (Luckily no innocent bystanders were harmed by the mustang)

2 Likes

I have this every day. Some of the people are even asking why I hate Engladn soo much…

I’ve heard that Mustang owners fall over themselves to get hold of the rear XJS suspensions to put into their cars!

1 Like

Lots of the Jag rear ends end up in hot rods. It’s a very popular build. I haven’t seen one in a mustang but I’m sure it’s been done! I just haven’t payed much attention to mustangs!

worse one for me whilst driving my XJ about 17 years ago was, from a car load of lovelies “Is that your Dad’s car??” :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Ha, got a new one yesterday.

Is that an XKE?
No, it’s an XJS.
Oh, does it have 8 cylinders?
No, it has 12.
Wow!

I think one of the best things I like about our cars, is that most people haven’t a clue what it is!

Just don’t try that with a well-driven Subaru WRX…:smiley:

I love when they they ask “does it still have the 12 in it?”

Easy reply. “ Yes it does”

2 Likes

OK, another ‘old man’s tale’! I had just purchased a 1967 DB6, and it was time to buy some fresh gas at the local filling station and Reagan used to call them. I pull in, and the attendant comes out. I said this was and old tale. He approaches the car, and notices it has two fillers on the rear fenders. I pointed to the one on the pump side, and he just keeps staring at the car. I go in the office to pay, and the other young man asks what kind of car is was. I figured I would have some fun, at their expense, and told them it was a Mustang with a custom body. They were still arguing as to who was right when I left.

2 Likes

I remember when I first bought my car, arguably the very first thing I bought, aside from filling it up with gas, was to get a new set of tires on it. I noticed the ones on the rear were two different sizes and the rear diff was clicking and howling like a son of a gun when I drove around a corner. I bought my self a set of new Pirellis to try and match spec. Sizes Of what the car was supposed to have on it.
I remember the redneck tire mechanic guy suggested to me as he’s handing the keys back to me “yah know you should yard that V-12 out of there and stick in a Chevy small block”!
He just killed my whole thought of why I bought a Jaguar in the first place.
I still have the Pirellis sitting in my garage on Starfish rims. I’m sure they have about 100 miles on them.

I was bringing my first XJS (H&E) back from a barn finding in southern Ohio (on a car trailer) and someone wondered if it was a Ferrari. I now have a 93 XJS Convertible (black) and a 2001 XK8 and it does not matter where you go, everyone “goose-necks” you as you drive along. What gets me is people always compliment the cars and you can clearly hear the envy in their voices. We all are very blessed to have one of these items (although there are times they a curse). Still, life is good and cruising anywhere in one of these is really amazing!

2 Likes

Many years ago, when I had an XJR, I was jumped by a WRX up in the mountains. Very twisty-road type stuff. By gawd, I wasn’t gonna take any guff!

Or so I thought.

After 15 minutes of trying to shake him off my tail I was exhausted. Not only did I end up taking the guff but truly had my ass handed to me on a platter. Having driven some WRXs I think I knew…somewhere deep inside…that the outcome was a given. It was a valiant effort, tho.

Later that same morning I diced it up with a Bimmer. It was a big 7-series. It was a much more equitable match :slight_smile:

Cheers
DD

2 Likes

Pride is an interesting emotion, no?

Though I knew the WRX was/is a formidable performer, I was still a bit…brought back to earth…when, at HPR, try as I might (with the usual ‘brakes all gone after three laps’) the WRXs lapped Tweety, 3 times.

In a 40-minute session… :frowning_face:

1 Like

And always cometh before the fall :slight_smile:

Cheers
DD

1 Like

Leo Iococa’s vision of the original Mustang included IRS. An early version for test only had a simple one. It failed to make production because of added costs.

1 Like