BEC16244 - convertible roof to boot clip

Hello all. I have just purchased for my '94 convertible a NOS cover for the roof when it’s folded down.

The ‘boot’ package did not include the BEC16244 hooks that will attach the boot to the loops on the convertible roof - there are six of those loops at the rear of the roof itself, where the roof attaches to the rear deck. I hope that’s somewhat understandable.

Anybody have a source, or come up with a genius alternative? I don’t really have a clear idea of size, or shape (apart from the parts list / drawing on the classic parts website).

Thanks in advance.

John

They are basically a flattish s-shape, with a little extra bend on the top boot side so they stay attached. I guess that sounds more like a 9 shape.

You’re going to have to find some very stiff wire and make some. Anything you bend by hand is going to bend back on its own far too easily. Bend it in a vice with a hammer perhaps. Plasti-dip them to keep from scratching paint, because they did have a plastic coating originally.

If the top is rarely raised, maybe some giant quilter’s safety pins as a short term solution.

Thanks John - it sounds like they’re under more tension than I thought.

I will take a look at the safety pins and also think about more substantial metal rod of some sort; good point about plasti-dip!

Thanks again.

Are the flatish S-hooks close in size (height, width, diameter) the S-hooks available in Big Box or hardware stores?

If so, do they need to be flatish, or will round work?

If they need to be flatish, a hammer and an anvil (or flat anvil area on a vice) and flatten the round S-hooks.

Once in the cover, end the top into an eye-hook loop to retain them?

1 Like

Is that about 1/8" diameter rod?

It should be easy to make something that size, it’s kind of ‘belt buckle’ size (unless you are a pretend cowboy, in which case the belt buckle is large enough to hide the beer belly).

1 Like

I appreciate the pic, thanks!