Best Tire Size for Mark 2

Just purchased a beautiful 1962 Jaguar Mark 2 with 205 65R 15 Bridgestone Touranza Tires. Are these the right size for the car?
This is my first post about my Mark 2.

I think you will find they are a bit too wide, from memory 185/70(75?) 15 should be more like it.
I had 205’s on my ‘S’ and it would lurch into a corner after a certain speed, indicating to me that the tyre was ‘rolling’ on the rim.

Hi, I have 4 new, “DUNLOP SP 10 TYRE 195/70R15” fitted and the speedo is spot on plus they fit with good clearance from the spats.
Cheers, Brian.

I’ve been driving a MK2 since 1969 and it was hard finding the right tires
even then when the Michelin X 6.40-15’s wore out. Luckily, now we can buy
the correct size that doesn’t rub on the front fenders when making a turn or
going over a bump. The only tires I have found that fit properly are
Vredestein Sprint Classics in 185HR15.

Mike Eck
New Jersey, USA
www.jaguarclock.com
'51 XK120 OTS, '62 3.8 MK2 MOD, '72 SIII E-Type 2+2

I fitted 205-70 on 6inch steel V12 e-type rims , but that’s me :sunglasses:

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/jaguar/mki-mkii.html20160801_123915%20(2)%20-%20Copy

1 Like

I have these same tyres on our Mk2. I run them at 35psi and can manage the standard steering. They also look period correct. Not cheap. Paul

Thank you Brian, Mike, Robin, Ian and Paul for your input. I certainly appreciate your time and thoughts on this matter.

Jonathan

I have this same size in Yokohama’s and they stick like glue but show slow on the speedometer. i.e. 70 shown is really about 66 MPH. Use a GPS app on your celly and you will figure it out. Your odometer will also suffer a bit, but does that really matter in the long run?

Gerard

185 HR 15 vredesteins on the front, 195 HR 15 uniroyal rainsports on the rear,

Thank you Gerard and Scott for your thoughts.

Front and back for me. Look great, Handle well.
Dave

Thanks Dave,

I took a hard look at all the suggestions and am going with 185 HR 15’s also.

Thanks,

Jonathan

How do the Vredesteins wear? I don’t believe they are embossed with a US DOT wear rating being specialty tires. I’m running a steering rack which is pretty hard on the front tires. (3.8S)

John Quilter
Eugene, Oregon

Hi John,

I have not purchased them yet.

Jonathan