185/vr15 is the right balance
IMHO at commuting speeds up to 75 it’s been fine
These cars are ove 55 years old
How fast
How hard in turns?
Enjoy the ride

Lead foot lambchop

Longstone,
My mistake, have 205 Vreds on my Mk2 and the E coupe. To me they fill the wells better and give more footprint on the ground for better cornering. Have the smaller spats for clearance. And I have rack and pinion mod with power steering too, so no extra effort.
John

Hmm. I have been in this argument many times, but you will find the handling nicer on a period 185 (Pirelli or Michelin would be best).

I understand thatsome people like a fuller wheel arch on an e-type, and the aysthetic part of the argument works. However more foot print does not nesecarily mean better cornering. and in your car without making some major adjustments it won’t. you need to change stuff to keep that footprint on the road as the car rolls under cornering forces. racing cars add adverse camber. But other things you do also effect the handling, ride and comfort.

lets consider the e-type

In 1968 Dunlop developed the SP Sport. Also they developed their version of low profile tyres.
In 1968 Jaguar released their XJ6 which came fitted with new superduper up to date technology ER/70R15 (205/70R15) Dunlop SP SPort Aquajet tyres.
I think i’m right in saying also in 1968 Jaguar released their Series 2 Etype. part of updating the car was the trendy new Aquajet Dunlop SP Sport. It was a 185R15 tyre. They could have fitted 205/70 but they didn’t because it didn’t handle as well.

Let us not for one minute contemplate that Jaguar didn’t test these tyres. Good old Norman would have been out every waking hour, but the e-type fitted 185R15.

But i do get the attraction with filling the wheel arches.

What would be great is a car show where everyone did some wheel swapping so we could do some back to back testing.

I agree unless you play with the fender wells or spats… 205 are bloaty too me and kind of bouncy tall around the corners
But that’s me…
I had a mark2 with modified spats and it still rubbed in corners at speed
But to each their own
Gtjpey13-4

My E coupe was modified by Eagle GT group to handle the 205’s, they are pretty sharp guys and know how to set things up for the 205’s, works well and far better than stock. And the Mk2 does not rub anywhere, has been driven hard to test.
Only issue with rack and pinion on Mk2 is the turning radius for parking is then a bit limited, but I give that up for the nice response and light touch.
John

JohnAZ

Aha! Ok if Eagle have modified the E to suit a 205 then that is great. Those boys are very cleaver and know their onions.

What is important is that people didn’t get the impression that what suits their cars is applicable to a standard e-type. Mechanically Eagle do a lot of clever modifications that make it handle more like a modern car. (As do some other fettlers).

But fitting 205 on a mk2 saloon will make the steering heavier, slower, less precise and less progressive in the wiggly bits. I understand filling the arches of the e-type but unless you throw the same amount of money at the mk2 it won’t be as good in the wiggles as it would on 185. Particularly a proper period one made by Pirelli or Michelin.

Hey residentian
Ian, I really like those wheels on your white MK2, what brand are they & who is the agent in the UK?
Are they steel or alloy and do they bolt up to the std hubs?
Cheers
Pierre