Best Way to Clean Up Facelift Window Switch?

I have a 1996 XJS and the drivers side window switch is starting to fail. I took it apart and there is some black corrosion on the contacts. I am attaching a picture after spraying it down with contact cleaner.

In the past, I used some sandpaper, or some abrasive, to clean off that black corrosion. Big mistake. The switch worked great, but removing a protective layer only accelerated the return of the corrosion. I had to buy a new switch.

Any tips on cleaning this up the right way? Thanks.

Ok, I used a pencil eraser and the black stuff is off…however now I think the protective coating has been rubbed away over time. What is the best solution here? I know buying a new one is the easy answer.

How about electroplating?

Hi Veekay,

The contacts are usually zinc coated.
If the zinc burns, or the contacts get cleaned too aggressively and rub away the coating, the brass will oxidize and burn really fast, especially if high currents are involved.
Electroplating is indeed the best solution.
A simpler DIY solution would be cover them with a thin coat of solder.

I don’t know if this applies to the 1996 cars, but Jaguar was very stingy with relays, on my 86 XJ all the current was passing through the switches, making the windows very slow and making sure that the switches will be short-lived…
If your car has no windows relays this is your major problem.
Adding relays will cure everything and the switches will last forever.

2 Likes

Thank you. I did apply some solder. We’ll see how it turns out.

I thought I did have relays on the windows, but apparently only the quarter windows are on relays…

I may have found a new project…for the spring. If you happen to have a diagram available on how to wire them, that would be great. If not, I’m sure someone has posted it in the past.

Simple in principle but lots to do…
Kirby’s book has all the info.

This is what I did, but you need half the stuff as you have only two windows.

1 Like

IOW, the contacts are galvanized?

Not sure what the Jag switch contacts are plated with but I have seen many variations, tinned, zinced, chromed, plain copper or brass and on high end audio silver or even gold plated.
It all depends on the application and quality of the switch.
Same principle with coated cables, to prevent oxidation and increase conductivity.