I posted back in December 2018 that my engine was being sent back to Coventry West for diagnosis of a “clunking” sound that began in September of 2018. The story is a little more complicated now so I’ll update everyone that is interested (if not skip this posting).
- My 1963 e-type was running a 4.2 motor from a 1969 Series 2 that I had begun to work on several year ago but abandoned due to bodywork needed beyond my skills and willingness to tackle. The motor was already rebuilt so I sold it on without the motor and gearbox.
- The 3.8 motor that matches my car was left in pieces in my shop waiting some future event (either I’d rebuild it or sell the car with it).
- My 4.2 developed an issue and it was decided the engine needed to be taken apart to find out what went wrong inside. Coventry west is doing that work.
- At this time I decided that I’d rather have the 3.8 number matching motor rebuilt vs rebuilding the 4.2, so we switched to working on the 3.8.
- As of this week the block was cleaned and prepared, pistons were ordered, rods were reconditioned and the crank is going to be polished soon.
- I am looking forward to the return of my 3.8 motor soon and the 4.2 will stay with Coventry West for their use as a rebuild candidate or parts for someone else.
thanks for the interest I’ll keep posting updates as I learn more.