Birch Grey, match?

Could anyone give me an example of a modern grey which is close to Birch Grey for a '55 140? The only samples I’ve been able to obtain are actually Birch Grey from BMC/Rover, BLGR3 which is listed as a 1955-59 colour. This has too much green in it for my taste, and does not seem to match Birch Grey XKs I have seen. I need to try this on a sample panel so don’t want to order more than a single aerosol at present. I have the Glasurit code JAG-25448 but don’t think I can get just a single aerosol of this in the UK.

edit - that Glasurit code doesn’t work on the Glasurit website. Dove Grey and Pearl Grey are the only greys on there.

This is the mix of tints for Birch Grey that a friend used on his 140OTS

Not a perfect photo, as some shadows

Thanks John, that is just beautiful and is exactly the colour I want to go with. Unfortunately the hand-written note is very difficult to read (eyes must be getting old!) and I’m not sure I understand it - there seem to be two columns for ‘weight’, which I don’t follow. Do you still have any labelled tins of this - my painter usually gives me the tin of what’s left, which gives me the modern coding information.
The testing aerosol I got from ‘Paints4u’ is definitely more of a green than a grey, despite being labelled 1955 Birch Grey, and gives a rather unpleasant slime colour!

Don’t know if this helps…

I think I painted my 120DHC recently this colour.
Some pics with different wheel combinations

Trying to make sense of it, I put the handwritten note into a spreadsheet. In the handwritten note, the second “weight” column is a simple integer multiple of the first, the constant being 4. The second numbers in the first weight column are integer multiples with the constant of 50.

Capture

Thanks Mike. It just goes to show how unreliable screens are for colour perception - Terry’s photos 3 and 4 look like completely different colours.
Hopefully the printout and old codes will enable a decent paintshop to come up with the right colour.

Terry – those disc wheels on your 3rd pic down – what are they? I like them.
Looks like they have a 5 bolt pattern, but also use a wire wheel spindle?

well you may ask! I would hope you would like them - they are Jaguar!

The lighting is EVERYTHING in color matching. The attached photos show show a ceramic house number plate and the matching paint I had mixed for the front doors of a 135 year old church I own. The only difference in the two photos was the natural sunlight used in the top while fluorescent lighting was used in the bottom.

1 Like

You will find similar wheels on the D-Type and the Lightweight and Aero E-Types. The originals were made by Dunlop. Copies are still available.

well spotted they are D type wheels that have had the pegdrive hub removed and a splined hub fitted!

I would say the two photos of Terry’s car looks more like mist grey ?
Certainly, lighter than my friends 140OTS here in England.
He does not have any numbers on the spare paint tin.

I see what you mean about Mist Grey - just had a look on XK Data, but it seems Mist Grey was only available from '56 on, which is too late for my car.

agreed … I chose to use Mist grey on my car as the birch grey looked a bit too close to clear coating the primer. I have always been pleased with my choice. The Mist grey has a bit more red in it along with blue and yellow. it is a bit warmer grey