Bobine fuel pump upgrade

I’m struggling with this more than I should be…
I now have the 150 flexi hoses with the banjo fittings at one end. I can’t for the life of me work out what the other end needs! My male 3/8BSP fittings are too big, so maybe it needs a smaller diameter pipe? Seems highly unlikely, and Bob does describe this end as taking a 3/8 male fitting, but I have no idea what thread that fitting should be. It’s not 3/8BSP. Can you help, Bob? The ID of the fitting is 13mm.

Thanks!

Roger

Hi Roger…the threads into the pump are 3/8 BSPP as far as im aware…so i would think its the same …note BSP can be a taper or parallel thread…BSPP is parallel…Steve

Unfortunately not, the 3/8BSP(P) male unions I have are too big. It’s the female end of the flexi I’m trying to fit to, not the pump. This end is a compression (olive) fitting, and I have an idea that the male union for 3/8 pipe olives is actually a 9/16" thread. I’ve ordered a couple from the Complete Automobilist and will report back.

Roger,
This was done in 2007 and unfortunately I didn’t make notes of all the parts I used. Found some pictures of the construction, that started with a first attempt using rubber hoses.

I then replaced these rubber hoses by “proper” flexi hoses.

The last picture I took was one month later but the construction is probably identical.

Again, as far as I remember, the connection between fuel pipe and flexi hose is identical to the one used near the carbs where Flexible Pipe C.3629 connects to the Feed Pipe C.3810 using an “olive” to obtain a properly sealed connection. Cannot you copy that type of connection?

Bob K.

1 Like

Bob, thanks for the photos, that last one is especially helpful. It’s the fitting on the end of the rigid pipe that I need to identify. I’m pretty sure it’s a 9/16UNF fitting for 3/8" pipe, and have a couple coming in the post to try. I tried asking Automec, but as I don’t actually have a twin-pump 150 I’m not entirely sure which hose I’m asking about. The Jag parts suppliers have no idea unless you can give part numbers. I’m pretty sure I can get it sorted and will let you know what these are, just for completeness.
It’s certainly an excellent modification and well worth doing, thanks.

One solution might be to use an original XK120/XK140 male pump fitting without the brass olive. Then solder the male pump fitting (silver) directly to the copper pipe. Because the female end of the flex line is a swivel, it should then bolt up.

That would be ideal, but I can’t find any supplier of such a fitting. My old originals are brazed on, which I can’t see a way of removing short of cutting off and trying to drill out the remains of the pipe.

Hi Mike…what size is the silver male fitting that you have on the 3/8 copper pipe…Steve

Here’s the kit as sold by Moss Motors in the U.S. The threads of the male pump fitting are the same as on the banjo bolt shown in my first photo.

https://mossmotors.com/repair-kit-fuel-pump-mount

Hi Mike…thanks…its the thread size i was after so i could get one local in the UK…Viart shows the pump thread as 3/8 BSP but Roger said in a post abovd that he tried this and it was too big to fit tne end of his flexi…Steve

I don’t think the Moss US one would work with the new flexi hoses, Steve, they don’t have the same fitting on the non-banjo end as the older ones in Mike’s photo. The fittings on the hoses from SNG definitely won’t accept a male 3/8BSP thread.

I do find it annoying that Moss (who started in London) don’t sell their full range over here. I can’t find WZX979 anywhere, including the Burlen SU site.

I just realized my photos show 1/2 inch outside diameter copper pipe fitting into the silver male pump fitting from Moss Motors. The correct copper fuel line is 3/8 inch outside diameter. So there would need to be a 1/2” to 3/8” reducer for my proposal to work. That assumes you could find flex lines with female 3/8 BSP threads.like the older one from my spare parts collection.

I do have two extra male pump fittings from Moss Motors that I don’t need. If you want them, let me know.

I got my fuel line fittings from SU Rebuilders in San Diego.

Hi Roger…will have to weight till you recieve you fittings to see what works…but just found the Moss parts available from Fitting Kit for SU LCS Pumps

Well found, that man!

I’m hoping the fittings will be here soon so I can see what’s what.

I’m late to the party here, but I can offer that 9/16-18 is a common SAE tube nut size for 3/8" od metal tube. You see SAE tube fittings called out by their “dash” size, measured in 1/16 of an inch. A 3/8" od tube fitting would be called out as a dash 6 (-6) fitting. This chart may help.

The unions have arrived, and I can confirm that the female end of the 150 banjo flexible hose requires a male 9/16 UNF olive compression fitting for 3/8" pipe. Automec and Complete Automobilist sell these in the UK, and no doubt many others.

Also, the correct style soldered fitting for the join between the rigid pipe from the tank and the pipe to the pump on a 140 is available from Automec. The union supplied with fuel line kits is a double olive connector, whereas the original on my car was for soldered nipples as the Automec part.

1 Like

Hi Roger…do you have a part number tbat you ordered and from where. …iv searched both sites you listed and cant find that fitting…also cant see it anywhere in my searches. …is the fitting you have for compression both ends or does the 9/16 end have a flat face…also what is the mating face inside the flexi…is it for an olive…thanks…Steve

Hi Steve,

From Automec they are part no. HU26, brass union male 9/16 x 24 UNF 3/8" pipe, and from Complete Automobilist they are CA166 Nuts - solderless - 3/8 tube.

They are for an olive, and the flexi hose connector is too as far as I can see. Seems to work OK.

Thanks Roger got it…i was wrongly looking for a double ended type compression fitting…cheers…Steve