Bobine fuel pump upgrade

Hi All…hope you can help…has anyone changed their fuel pump connections for flexi fittings as on the Bobine blog…see photo…he lists the flexis as C14721 i cant find them…and SNGB dont recognise the number…they have a similar flexi from a MK2 but it connects to thinner fuel pipe and not tbe 3/8in on the XKs…thanks…Steveimage_thumb14

Ok…just sorted it a typo in Bobine,s text…hose is a C14271…Steve

Given that “C14271” is NOT a Jaguar Part Number… AND other than SNG charging nearly forty dollars (US) EACH for these flex hoses, where can one obtain a pair for a reasonable price??
Charles #677556

Hi Charles…C14271 IS the original Jaguar oart number for the flexi on a 150S…SNG price is the cheapest i could see…others have them far more expensive…Steve

Steve,

Glad you were able to solve this without me!!! I will update/correct my article and sorry for the typo.

PS 1: This pump solution works well: no issues since the beginning (2014). Much easier to connect than the copper pipes.
PS 2: I later added a (none original XK) petrol filter as well, as used on other Jaguars

Bob K. (a.k.a. “Bobine”)

Hi Bob…didnt realise it was you…great blog…my fuel pump pipes are original steel…showing a few signs of rust…so ideal opertunity to replace with cunifer and use your flexi idea…all the best…Steve

Bob, I think this conversion to the flexi pipes is a very good idea. I see that banjo bolts are now used - will the standard XK140 pump take these OK? The original arrangement used a flared fitting, I think. Do 150 banjo bolts fit the pump instead?

Roger,

My fuel pump is the standard XK 140 SU AUA 57 LCS type, but the shorter AUA 157 also fits. The flared “rigid” pipe adapter has the same thread as the flexible hose connector. I used If my memory serves me well (???) it is the same type as used on the flexible pipe that runs to the carburettors, but please check.

Bob K.

Thanks Bob, should be fine then.
I’m struggling to bend that 3/8" pipe at the tank end without kinking it, not easy!

Hi Roger by hand or with a bender…you can get cheap benders on ebay…Steve

Steven;
Appreciate the reply (sorry to take so long to reply)
Guess if I want the flex hoses, I gotta “pay the piper” ;-}
Charles #677556.

Or cut your banjo and leave a short piece of pipe on it then fit a length of 3/8 rubber fuel hose (ethanol proof)…and a couple of pipe clips…Steve

There are companies selling stainless braided PTFE hose, which is good for ethanol. Tricky to get nice ends on cut braided hose, though. The flexi hoses are £67 or thereabouts for the pair from Coventry Auto, which whilst not cheap is OK. They have the banjo tails swaged in place.

Wish I could find a bending spring for 3/8" ID for these pipes!

Hi Roger the pair sold by CA are not both the same hose as in Bobine,s photo above…so check what they will actually supply. …Steve

PAGOW sells a 5 piece set for $12 on Amazon

Steven;
That’s a thought, but maybe a little “too ghetto” For the XK120 (I’d put that set-up on my '62 Volvo 122s, if needed, tho… It’s a real “beater!”)
Charles 677556.

Why don’t you go to the next hydraulic shop and ask them if they can make them up for you in their lunch break? Chances are they have all the right equipment and it will cost a lot less.

There are, or were, long ago, rubber end caps where steel sleeved hoses were used with screw clamps. To make it look neat and less dangerous. Should be no problem to make something up.

You’re right Steve, for the 150 they do a slightly different job in connecting twin pumps. I’ve asked CA but they can’t split the set, so I’ll either go with SNG (who have no stock) or get some made up as David suggests. I’ve used the ‘diy’ type with the screw clamps before, and they’re frankly not very good. Far better to get someone like BGC to make some up properly.

Im waiting on tbe SNG ones mid Oct they told me…Steve

The Mark 1 and 2 originally had this flex hose banjo setup on their fuel pumps in the boot, same square body etc., although just plain rubber hoses not braid covered. I pulled the whole setup from a junk Mark 1 and had that setup on my 120 in my salad years because the original piping had been chopped up by a DPO, before I made all new piping and converted back to original flare end fittings.