Bolt heads - to paint or not to paint?

Got the engine out of the S1 at the moment to change the clutch - seemed a fairly straightforward job until I got to the reaction plate, removal of which took almost as long as the rest put together !

Anyway, taking the opportunity to repaint the sub-frames. At the moment the bolt heads aren’t painted, but should they be ? ‘Original E Type’ shows some painted and some not, suspect they probably should be painted.

Thanks,

Anthony

I think it varies by year, black oxide, cad, paint. Plating will hold up much better than paint to assembly tools.

Hi Anthony, as Erica has stated all S1 had either black oxide up through mid 65 then clear cad from there on. They were not painted.
Regards,
Allen

Ok, many thanks, Erica and Allen. In which case I’ll leave them bright plated (cad?) as they are !

From the JCNA guide regarding sub frame bolt color:

FOOTNOTES
Footnote A:
Although the original Jaguar production line photos such as Porter pages 163, 167, 249, 379 all show unpainted subframe bolts, from surviving original cars we know that some were painted.:

1 Like

A local friend had a 1.5, inherited from a relative who was the original owner. No accident damage, and no known paint work. The engine had never been out of the car, and it definitely had never had a complete tear down restoration. All the frame bolts were body color. That said, I wouldn’t paint bolts. It’s just not going to hold up as well.

My S1’s were painted.

Huh, beginning to wish I hadn’t asked !! Well, I think I’ll leave them plated, as Erica says they’ll hold up better if they have to be undone; just means masking 'em all up, but I have some roofing screw plastic cups which fit over the heads pretty well.

I suppose it all depends whether the subframes were painted on the car or prior to assembly, maybe it could vary ?

Thanks for the further help, everyone.

Oh, you’re painting the frames assembled on the car? Personally then I would just paint over them because, I have enough stuff to do.

1 Like