Bolt/split pin question

Im restoring my 1955 Mark VII and some of the bolts are pretty bad. Are there bolt kits out there or do I just go to a fastener store? I know this is a pretty dumb question but this is the first time getting this deep in a rebuild.

Im mostly asking since I’m working on the front suspension and 90% of the bolts use a split pin and castle nut.

Wasn’t sure if I could magically find the right bolts with the exact split pin placement or if I just got new bolts and drill holes in them. Or do people upgrade to not using split pins anymore?

Thanks in advance

There is not really anything wrong with slotted nuts and cotter pins. It performs the required job, preventing the nut from working loose.
But it is time consuming to install them on the production line, which I believe is why Jaguar went away from them.
You can still buy slotted nuts for cotter pins from McMaster-Carr and others.
95030A210_LOW-STRENGTH STEEL LOCKNUT.pdf (80.1 KB)
But you probably would have to buy regular bolts from McMaster and drill your own holes.

SNG do most nuts , this 1/2 UNF is around $2
Lot’s of Castle nuts on e-bay , just need to know your size , maybe cheaper as well !

or just go over to Nyloc nuts, easier, don’t rust like castle nuts, better all round, unless you wamt the original look!

1 Like

I regularly swapped out castellated nuts, for nyloks.