Bonded windshield on a SII

The bottom corners of the rear glass curve in deeper on the series 2. The entire C pillar is more upright, the glass is more upright, and much flatter on series 3z

1 Like

I have now received (courtesy of David from EverydayXJ) the front and rear windshield apertures cut out of a SIII.

The matching of the steel bits to the SII glass shows that there is no direct fit but so far, with a little tweaking, there is no obvious show-stopper for the mad project.

The bottom right corner of the front is clearly very different:

With a little tweaking, the top right corner aligns very well.

Top left piece with all the backing sheets removed:

3 Likes

This morning I positioned the extra metal at the top of the windshield and placed the glass in, resting on the unmodified lower edge.
This really all looks totally feasible…

However, in the harsh sun of a freezing morning, contemplating the amount of work I have left after 4 years, I am starting to think that this might be a crazy idea too far for me.

My fabrication skills, my tooling, my experience and my time frame are just not sufficient to make this a success that I can enjoy. … :frowning:

1 Like

NOW you must try. Now, or never. You’ve come this far.

1 Like

If only I had a mate to do this with. You need to be two to do really sketchy s*it… :slight_smile:

Entirely up to you, but it looks like an awful lot of work for very little gain. If you need to do just because you can, go for it, but speaking personally, you could probably spend your time and effort better on other aspects.

Nobody can ever say you didn’t fully investigate the possibility before making your decision.

1 Like

Do you have full pictures? I wouldn’t have thought this would work at all

I only tinkered with the top left corner. For what I see, it is actually not that hard to do.

But I still have to do the hood louvers and all panels gaps before taking it to the body and paint shop. I wonder if I ever will drive this car again…

I live too far away to help you by being a work-buddy, Eric, but I do understand your feelings at this stage. Maybe take a step back and think about what you really HAVE to have done to make this car something you can enjoy and drive. You have lots of support here.

Best wishes.

David

1 Like