Bonnet insulation refreshed

The old insulation pad had become almost at death’s door, so i replaced with the product from Duque Hoodliners Productions. Since the insulation pad installation needed the bonnet removed I also replaced bonnet struts as part of this project.

The new liner looks great and the company provided decals to dress it up. Good company. No affiliation here.

New bonnet struts work great. With old struts releasing the bonnet latch resulted in about a 1 inch “pop up”…just enough to get your fingers under and lift. With the new struts the bonnet pops open about 4 to 5 inches. And is much easier to open to full open and lock.

3 Likes

indeed, this does look good

how is shipped the liner ? a big roll ?

Looks good- mine has cutouts for the throttle capstan- is the material thinner?

Looks great, but why do you have to actually remove the bonnet to r/r it? :confused: btw, hopefully those new struts are not more “powerful”, btw - I’ve read cautionary posts in the past about using hood bonnets that are “stronger” than OEM as possibly resulting in warping of the bonnet over time, e.g. that make the hood open under its own strut power … :grimacing:

Yes, rolled in a long box

Yes, a bit thinner than the OEM. Had appropriate cut outs that matched the OEM.

My OEM has a solid plate above the throttle capstan. Plate is outside the liner and held onto small posts with spring clips. Keeps liner from sagging onto throttle. New liner had holes positioned at appropriate locations. Finding little spring clips to push on was a but of effort…had to order from McMasterCarr.

1 Like

Thanks. BTW this is not a cut-to-fit…it comes pre-cut to match your car.

Remove bonnet Paul to wash and prep. The new liner is glued in place with 3M #80 spray adhesive. Easier to layout with bonnet laying horizontal. (Harbor Freight had a padded workstand for about 26 bucks). Trying to lean over your engine bay and glue this liner in would not work. Very good installation instructions and video at their website. And I thought the price very reasonable.

The bonnet struts I bought were correct. My old ones were just worn out and I didn’t care. But decided it was time to correct that issue.

I read his FAQs … best thing is the price - less than $100 or so for the item. :+1: He really does insist on removing the bonnet though, b/c he’s afraid of overspray from the 3M #80 :grimacing: … I don’t see why you couldn’t just cover everything else up with drop cloths (engine, windshield, fenders, etc.) and go at it … ? :confused:

how can it pop up so high… don’t you have a safety catch???

No Scrimno. The 95 doesn’t have the safety catch. Only a bonnet release. And doesn’t pill closed using the release lever.

I am not sure at what point the catch and release was changed. I imagine part of the face-lift changes. A friend’s 91 still had the safety latch

I’ve seen the information posted here about the change
iirc only the latest model do without the lock

my 1993.5 coupe VIN 188xxx still has it, may be the change came with the 1995 interior refresh

Could be. I think Paul in Dallas gas a 94 model.

Paul. Does Superblue have the bonnet lock?

It came with the face lift … ('93 MY), I would assume. :confused: Superblue doesn’t have one … although Superblack (my '92 5.3) still does.

Looks great, I’ve been talking about doing mine for years.
Dumb question, can they do the Growler rather than the
Leaper decal?

I don’t know Gary. I asked for the leaper and they had that. The leaper and word Jaguar were both delivered on the same backing sheet but were essentially two different decals. I cut the backing sheet between the two so I could space them as needed/desired. And you can choose between different colors. I am very happy with the product.

Nicole Duque (she is running the business her Dad started) is very good about answering questions…give them a call or email

I’ve had the same headliner for over a decade. Purchased it when Gonzalo (the Dad) was still with us.
Very happy with it.

RIP Mr Duque (he had cancer and passed away a few years ago)

I’m surprised they do ANY, given how jealously some marks (inc. Jaguar) patrol online and enforce their trademarks (logos) against any and all infringers. :police_car: In fact, I was going to write that owner to warn him about that, but didn’t see any way to send an email to them.

Thank you, I think I will . I do remember her Dad’s story
Now. I think he produced a very nice product. Still haven’t
Got the bear rug out from under my hood. (Bonnet) as we like to say in Jolly old!

Yeah Gary. I have hard time keeping the jolly old terminology correct. :grinning:

Bonnet vs hood
Hood versus top
Boot vs trunk.

So the top of the car (i.e. “roof”) is referred to as “hood” in the U.K.? :uk: Never heard that one before … :confused:

IIRC, on the old website somewhere there is a helpful “terminology” (i.e. translation) guide of Britspeak to Americanspeak in regard to automotive terms. I think I have also seen something similar in one of the popular car repair book series (Haynes?). :thinking: