Bonnet strap bracket options

My 120 project is coming along - pretty much ready for paint, and I’m down to dealing with issues like finding good brackets for the bonnet strap - I’ve seen a couple of very simple and inexpensive options that would be functional, but I’ve seen pictures online of brackets that appear to attach a little more securely, and seem to be fitted well to the crease in the fender next to the bonnet. If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated. As an aside, I plan to have a local artisan leather person create the straps = I’m not too excited about ordering the ones I see online.

I never heard that there was ever any official factory bonnet strap option offered. They were generally only used on racers, and not even all of those.
Anything the factory came up with for their special racer customers would most likely use the BD.72 luggage staple as fitted to Mark V saloon boot lids.
IMG_20210119_155343166
They are available from Worcester Classic Spares.

These things are also known as footman loops, and google turns up dozens of varieties. They are popular with off-roaders for tying down your kayak or deer.

1 Like

Gotta laugh out of that Rob. I don’t plan on hauling any deer soon! Thanks for the information- very helpful - particularly that they are called footman loops.

Jeff

since you said “options” how bout the option of not having bonnet straps? Do you just like the “look”? Not only will you have the brackets, but will have the damage to finish on the bonnet, which won’t matter if you always have them on. Curious…
Nick

1 Like

Good question Nick. I’ll admit to being on the fence on this, very much on the fence. On the one hand, I can have the brackets placed and holes drilled before paint (if I move quickly), and I’m somewhat influenced by people who claim that the bonnet can in fact get opened while driving (a You-Tube video on NUB120 - Alpine Rally Legend, where the long time rally participant talked about having it open when she was driving). While I do think the straps are cool looking, I hate to mar the lines - it actually looks better without straps if pressed. So I’m considering leaving them off for now , knowing I can add them later once the finish has been subjected to the considerable amount of driving I intend to do in this car.

Bonnets flipping open at speed is a characteristic of the XK150, if the latch has not been assembled correctly (150 owners can address that more fully), but is not typical of the 120 or 140. Some people use a cat collar as an extra line of defense.

Not sure what a cat collar is, but I’m pretty much convinced – I’m going to avoid the bonnet strap for now at least, and look at alternatives to ensure the bonnet doesn’t fly, if needed. Thanks!

Getting the spring right when fitting the secondary bonnet latch is a little tricky but once in place it seems to hook in rather securely. I too considered a strap but will go without (if I ever get this darn thing actually done!)

Jeff:

After some 58 years and numerous miles with my XK I have, thankfully, never had an issue with the catch letting go. However, you could always use a plastic cable tie, instead of going to the pet store.

Chris.

I have a picture of an XK-150 with the bonnet folded over the windscreen. Not worth the risk. Here’s what my cat collar looks like. I feed it through the bottom of the grill and around the frame.
Pat H

Hi Jeffery…a cats collar is a collar for a cat…but its too small…you need a thin dogs coller…simple to fit and remove and considering the damage caused if the bonnet catch gives way its peace of mind…just thread it through the lower grill and around the lower panel…Steve

I’m not a fan of the bonnet strap, either. I feel it spoils the lines and It could be a hindrance in the case of an engine bay fire. I’ve heard the XK150 is more prone to having the bonnet flying open - maybe something to do with the larger grille letting more air in…? THere are ways of unobtrusively securing the bottom of the grille using a short Bungee or similar.

what I do: thin Velcro strip at bottom of grille around chin prevent hood catch popping on a bump. Easily removed anytime.

It all depends on what kind of car you want. Here’s my contribution and there are many more: all original works cars of the early 1950’s with bonnet strap.

Bob K.

you will see the velcro strip: simple, easy, unobstrusive, no marks,…no catches or clips…easy on off…
Nick

1 Like

great photos…love the roll bar for car 16…that driver is tall…!!!
Nick

Perfect! Great solution