Boot Floor Sound Deadening

Terry,I’ll email you they’re address.

Yes just between the rails. There may be a question as to whether they go between the flanges or over the flanges - doing the latter increases the possibility of rust if not properly sealed. I have photos of an original boot and they are over the flanges, but i don’t know if that was typical.

I have to admit to being somewhat confused by this thread. Was there originally sound deadening in this area? The only thing in mine was the tank pad. Perhaps, this varied by year and model?

Rick OBrien
65 FHC in FL

That is all my 69 has in approximately the same location

I make no claim to originality. I only knew Jaguars originally had some tar like sound insulation (more anti-drumming) in the boot. I did see and note that the 3M stuff was at least in spirit similar to the original. I’m a 3M fan (except for the cost), so deciding was easy, since I don’t like the Aluminum backed stuff at all. Just put it in logical places, original placement only somewhat considered.

Nice “scale” indicators. Also good for warding off Vampires.

I didn’t have it under the tank, just a pad as you show. But, on the spare side of the floor it was on in between the ribs. Also under seats, near trans tunnel and some in outside wall of footwell. 1966, S1

Funny, I had nothing on the spare side either. Must have been the economy model.

Over the years of being a JCNA judge I’ve seen a lot of E Type boot internals. All I recall is that some have it, some don’t, but my memory doesn’t differentiate between ots and fhc. No ots I’ve owned had it, can’t recall if the only one other fhc I owned had it - it became a race car and sound deadening wasn’t necessary.

The boot was definitely painted body color, so Rick if your car wasn’t originally your boot color …

I like it when you can’t be wrong :slight_smile:
Not definative but I just took a peak at my S1 67 2+2. It definately has some sort of material on the boot floor. Between the ribs. Not over the ribs. Extends up under the fuel tank. This is not definative since this car received a color change in it’s life. It looks like in the boot, they sprayed some sort of textured black product over the whole boot area.

My 11/62 pro-date coupe had the same.

Looks like the original stuff, from photos I’ve seen.

Mine had the same stuff in it.

This was after I painted the boot area.

Looks like (if that’s original) that the mat over laps the seam of the ribs, right?

Yes, it does. It’s original as far as I’m aware. I’d be surprised if Joe Blow in the distant past would have cut those semi circular cutouts on the ends. Also it was under the original color paint and the only evidence of a color change on the car was a Maaco quality white paint job over the original OP silver.

That is the original paint in the boot floor. The outside had a re-spray. You can see the difference in the picture with the tape measures.

Rick

This was my 69 trunk floor. I just started removing the sound deadener in this shot but it had the tank pad and then the bitumen sound deadening like the floors of the seating area.

For folks that have installed new sound deadening in the trunk. Do you install it over the plastic plugs or cut a hole ?

Jay

1 Like

I took all the plugs out and cut holes throu the sound deadener so they can drain

2 Likes

Terry, we beat this one to depth but in case you weren’t aware, I was looking at my J.30 yesterday (trying to see if rubber floor mats were listed ) and came across an itemized listing of the Flintkote pieces that were used on the 3.8 cars. Here is a crude cellphone pic but it is on page 267 for the coupe.

Thanks Harvey. I didn’t know this. I looked in my parts catalogue J.37 Nov 1965 for 4.2 coupes and it’s at p. 243, but it’s mostly different from the stuff listed in your catalogue. Neither appear to clearly support it’s use on the floor of the boot, unless the floor is called the “Luggage Floor Extension Well” (in my catalogue), or “Rear Floor Panel” in yours.

I’m at about this point on my 63 FHC. I plan on using the 3M product that I believe you recommended. The SPC makes it very simple. It strikes me as rare that they actually quote sizes. I hope it works as well on your 4.2. Regards, Harvey