Boot lid seal replacement update

I won’t be ordering anything until I test the sample Doug sent me. 3.8 cars are noted for having shallower seal recesses than the later cars. I have several non usable seals already.

Did you inquire if they would ship it Royal Mail standard shipping? £41 sounds like some sort of premium shipping method.

Quote says “carriage export DHL”

What have you got? I may be able to use it on my S II.

The standard one the usuals sell with the bulb on the top. It’s significantly thicker than the one Doug found. I’m not sure if it even fits a S2 or not.

Yeah, I’ve tried that one. Too tall and too thick.

I assume the usuals have been informed that what they sell is inappropriate?

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I assume so too. But isn’t it always, the first time anyone’s had this problem?

1 Like

Perhaps a group buy in conjunction with a request for less expensive/slower shipping would be appropriate. I did pay a lot for shipping but it only took 3-4 days to get to me from England. I’m sure royal post would be cheaper, but I don’t know if Bains ships that way.

If there is a group buy I’ll join in.

Ohhh – – such cynicism.
I stumbled across this thread on the UK forum last week.
Seems a good time to post it:

SNG Barratt User Group

The opening paragraph: Julian and I have been discussing the creation of a User Group to help SNGB understand how their product line can be improved and what new products could be added. To this end I have offered to put together a group of Forum members who would be willing to participate.

Initial discussions in FEB 2019
Initial (?) session held in MAY2019
Significant feedback and follow-through from Julian Barratt thereafter, most recently in JUN 2021.

A laudable effort worthy of emulation

PS – P Wigton; the carbs are in the mail with a tracking number since Mon 20JUL21. No charge (not even return postage) and an email apology.

1 Like

If there’s a group buy I’m in.

I sent them an email asking if they can sharpen the pencil on shipping costs. No response yet.

Bumping this thread as I am considering placing an order of the DX100 from Coh Baines , but if someone in the US has adequate amount (3M) to seal my boot, I would prefer to purchase locally.

:male_detective: :question:

1 Like

We probably should put together a group buy. Meanwhile you can just stick a couple feet of soft foam weatherstrip from home depot under the lid edge so you can drive it. That’s what has been on mine for many years.

2 Likes

Good idea. Maybe there will be a few takers for a group order.

Was interested if anyone had “extra” they were stashing they might want to sell as well.

Here is a similar US product but the price makes the $40.00 shipping charge sound like a bargain.

If you’re asssembling a group buy list, I’ ll sign on.

2 Likes

You should check with restoration specialties. Steele is way over priced.

I would be interested in joining a group buy for a boot seal proven to work and fit well. I remember reading this thread but I don’t recall that it actually concluded the seal not only looked and fit properly but also sealed out water in action.

My boot lid doesn’t fit flush in the opening because I had to put so many shims on the latch to get it to actually latch reliably when closed. Sometime ago my reading on the old posts led me to believe that a too-tall boot lid seal (S1 4.2 OTS) was the culprit.

Dave

1 Like