Box Spanner C.31 and C.179 Specifications/Photos

Can people provide detailed specifications of the C.31 3/16" x 1/4" B.S.F. box spanner? Photos, manufacture markings, overall length? I have the nesting C.32 and C.33, but not the C.31.

Similar details for C.179 box spanner for sparking plugs, please. The spark plug spanner in my car has a rubber sleeve which grips the Champion L.10 plugs inside the 13/16" end, the other end is 3/4" AF hex, overall length is 5.550", no manufacture markings discerned.

Thanks!

I am not aware of exactly what car you have - but presumably a 2-1/2 litre or 3-1/2 litre SS-Jaguar or Mark IV; and not a 1-1/2 litre which is different, nor a Mark V which is different again.

For 2-1/2 litre and 3-1/2 litre SS-Jaguar/Mark IV you get FIVE box spanners only.
You get a C.305 and C.178 as per my recent/ongoing questions, both of which are 3-1/4in long with the C.305 nesting inside the C.178 for tool-kit tray storage.

You also get a C.31 (3/16x1/4BSF) and a C.32 (5/16x3/8BSF) and a C.179 (1/2in BSF single ended only), but no C.33 - the C33 was only supplied with 1-1/2 litre cars.

The C.31 and the C32 are 6in long, the C179 is 6-1/4in long, with all three nesting together, with the C34 small Tommy-Bar inside, so this ‘set’ of C.34,C31, C32 and C179 are all stored together in the one tool-tray recess.

The C.31 is 6in long, double ended hexagons of 3/16"BSF and 1/4"BSF sizes, two Tommy-bar pair of holes at 90 degrees, and has 3/16 & 1/4 BSF (or variations) stamped circumferentially around the middle of the box-spanner. Picture below:-

The C.179 is 6-1/4in long, single ended hexagon of 1/2"BSF size, one pair of tommy-bar holes towards non-hex end, and has its 1/2"BSF (or variations) size stamped circumferentially around the middle of the box-spanner. Picture below:-

Both the C31 and C179 were used by SS Cars and then Jaguar over 1938 to 1960 period with virtually identical size/shape and metal, but there are age related variations to the exact form/font of the stamped in size marking, that I wont get into that detail here.

As above, if your car is a 1-1/2 litre you get a different set of only four box-spanners, and a Mark V gets a different set of eight box-spanners.

OK,
Saw on other posting you have Mark V.
AS above a Mark V tool-kit has SEVEN box spanners, and that does include a BSF set of C.31, C.32 and C.33, and also separately a C.179.

The C.31, C.32 and C.33, as well as the small tapered C.34 Tommy-Bar were purchased from manufacturer as a nesting-set, with the Tommy Bar stored inside the smallest C31, and this set of four then housed in its own single-recess in Mark V tool-tray.

But you do need to be careful - as manufactured/supplied to Jaguar new, the three box-spanners do all nest-together properly and thus sit down 100% inside each other without being forced, the C34 Tommy Bar has just its head sitting proud, so all fits within tool-tray recess as intended.

If you source your C.31, C.32 and C.33 separately from different sources, even if correct original box-spanners they will not necessarily nest together properly, due to excessive misalignment of the hexagons one end to the other.
See attached picture - typical of a nested set - these just slip together easily with the three 6in long box spanners flush at ends when together.

Roger that. Helpful progress, thanks so much. Yes, I am working from most experience with a late Mark V. Combining info from Jaguar Service Manual for all Models 1946-1948, the compact disk with parts manuals for pre- and post-war saloons, and the Mark V parts and service manuals is guided by your observations and photos.

C.31 is not in my set, which instead has a 1/4" x 5/16" B.S.F., 4 inch long box socket with a stippled “655” marking in the manner of the stippled “E” on one of your photos. This box spanner does not nest in the C.32 and C.33.

On the C.179, the '46-'48 shop manual, p.113, calls for “Box Spanner, 1/2” B.S.F. (Sparking Plug) (2 1/2 and 3 1/2 litre only)" without giving a part number, while the '46-'48 parts manual, p.83, calls out C.179 as “Spanner, Box for Sparking Plugs” without giving a size. The '46-'48 shop manual indicates L.10 S. and N.A.8 spark plugs replaced with L.10 on later engines, I wonder if plug wrenches for L.10 S. and N.A.8 are 1/2" BSF.

The Mark V parts catalog calls for C.179 as “Spanner, Box, for Sparking Plugs” without mentioning size but L.10 (3 1/2, N.8 for 2 1/2) plugs for Mark V are 13/16" which is only a couple thousandths of an inch under the 1/2" B.S.F. and a 1/2" B.S.F. hex works on them.

The box spanner for spark plug in my Mark V has the spark plug end with only 5/16" hex depth, which fits just right on the L.10 plug. This spanner has no markings and does not say 1/2" B.S.F. I wonder if this spanner, 5.55" long with a 3/4" AF hex on the opposite end was supplied with the car new in California or if it was swapped in later.

Anyone with a redundant C.31 that will nest as original specification, please send me a note on availability.

Cheers and thanks.

One of the smarter things done by the Auto industry was standardise on the Spark Plug Hexagon size, coming out of I understand certain harmonisation agreements during WW2.

The British 1/2" BSF is nominally 0.820"
The America 13/16" is 0.8125"
The European 21mm is 0.8267"

All three areas have standards for spanner sizes, that allow some oversize tolerances for the nominal hexagon size bolts (or spark plug hexagons) they are meant to fit.

So any 1/2" BSF, or 13/16AF, or 21mm plug will be accommodated OK by any 1/2"BSF, 13/16AF or 21mm spanner.

These days of course there are smaller hexagon plugs, but you will find all period Champion Plugs as supplied to SS Cars Ltd and Jaguar Cars Ltd were made in England to be 1/2"BSF, but a replacement plug made in USA would be made to be 13/16AF, and one in Europe to be 21mm.

I have original L.10.S, NA.8, N8B, N5 plugs - all have the same 1/2" BSF hexagon - as expected.
And thus the C.179 Box Spanner in Mark IV and V and XK tool-kits.

Hi all.
I haven’t seen any reference mentioned to any of the box / tube spanners also being stamped with a 2 inside a circle? I have seen this numerous times on Mark IV and V spanners and indeed all of mine have this stamping.
Isn’t this correct that they should also have this stamping?
Regards, Graham.

No, but I did say there were variations in exact markings stamped on, and not a complexity that the question warranted discussing.
I have no idea what the ‘2-in-a-circle’ stamping represents, but its an age related issue, and does not impact on whether a spanner is a C.31, C.32, C.33, C.178, C179 or C305 or not.
Indeed ALL C.178 that I have seen do have the ‘2-in-a-circle’ stamping, whereas C305 that have no size stamping at all, are found with and without ‘2-in-a-circle’. C31, C32, C33 and C179 do have size stamping (in various formats/fonts) and with and without ‘2-in-a-circle’. See pic of a C179 below.
And the ‘2-in-a-circle’ can be found on non-Jaguar Box-Spanners, so although I don’t believe it is a ‘Brand’, it is some kind of manufacturer’s mark - but no idea what.
2BSF-2marking

What I am hoping to find is some period magazine/advertisement reference, that may give some clue as to what it means.

Thanks Roger.
I just wanted to bring that to forum readers attention.
Regards, Graham