Brake bottle / reservoir (because we just need one more thread on them)

If possible put the lines on before attaching the bottles to the bracket …this will avoid putting strain on the nipples and as others have said heat up the tubing with a heat gun first….you can also use some rubber grease …… put on the nipple not in the hose ….that way you don’t contaminate the brake fluid

2 Likes

Thanks Danny, good pointers. I think the shields will be more of a PITA, but don’t want to bust the nipples.

The replacements are junk so I refurbished the OG bottles.

1 Like

You may also consider placing the hose in hot boiling water and putting some brake fluid on the nipple. This worked for me. I also found a rod that was a slightly larger diameter than the nipple and used this on the other side of the nipple to support it. This relieved some of the stress between the nipple and fittings. I didn’t want to press to hard and damage the assembly.

1 Like

I was able to avoid any breakage of the nipples on my bottles. Of course, that’s because they’re STILL IN THE SNG BOX in my office. :roll_eyes:

I decided to dive into the IRS before finishing the forward-end brake hydraulic lines and bottles, or adding any brake fluid. And of course the IRS work has taken me forever, although I am close to wrapping that up!!

I haven’t touched the E in months. I was taking an evening welding class for a couple of months (which is “training” for future E work), which wrapped up last week. And of course this week I’ve taken on more/new duties at work and that’s taking all my time and energy. I’m even behind on my JL reading!

Thanks for letting me whine. :slight_smile: Sorry I couldn’t offer more helpful advice but best of luck with your install!!

1 Like

It was my experience that hoses from the usuals wasn’t made of the right stuff, and began to sweat brake fluid in short order. I ended up replacing them with EDPM hose from McMaster. The hose isn’t reinforced, so it’s quite soft and easy to work with. No need for reinforced hose here, as these lines are never under pressure.

2 Likes

That is a very useful reminder.

1 Like

That might be part of the problem.i.e. excessive and unequal force around the stub protruding out of the bottom of the bottle. You are going to want a clamp which doesn’t pinch one part differently from another. A softer more compliant hose needs less clamping force - in fact the inner diameter were fractionally undersized, it’d need no clamp at all.

kind regards
Marek

1 Like

That’s awesome you are taking welding course!

Understand setbacks. Have had one good arm since January and totally useless last 5 weeks (shoulder surgery).

Hoping to get back on the horse (Jaguar; meow) soon!

1 Like

There fixed it for ya.

1 Like

:+1::joy::joy::joy:

Thats mo betta!

shoulder surgery in my case, torn rotator has taken almost 2 years to get to 90 % recovery. Im 73 but still do some pretty heavy work. still cannot sleep on that side which of course was my favorite sleep position. good luck

1 Like

The recovery has been no joke, but my PT has amazing at keeping my ROM optimal.

Hoping I won’t have to do that again

1 Like

How many semesters of "healing techniques by the Marquis deSade did your PT take?
Mine had several…

Well, you know what PT stands for…

Physical Terrorist.

The sucky thing about PT?

It works.

:confounded:

To make it worse, my PT is a personal friend.

I agreed to hold no personal hard feelings toward her :joy:

2 Likes

I just replaced my sweating Yellow stripe hoses. Obtained from a “usual”. Message me privately and I will tell the name. The owner of the business told me it comes from Robey in England. He has heard in past that the hose sweats if the “wrong” brake fluid is used. I told him I am going with the McMaster -Carr EDPM hose. , and advised he carry it for those that want sweat-free. I just fit them, will monitor. It takes weeks to months for some to sweat. I’ve bought hoses from other “usuals” in past.

1 Like

My 20+ year old reservoirs gave up the ghost a few years ago. I looked at the cost, and quality, of available replacements, and decided to go another route entirely - an OEM BMW 1602/2002 reservoir that serves both brakes and clutch.

Cost was next to nothing, quality is outstanding - 10X better than the available repros I have seen. I am 1000% satisfied, and quite certain I will never have to replace them again.

1 Like

But it looks so lonely, Ray! :grin:

Good for you! I love this… A parts vendor who blames the customer for not changing the brake fluid they use in the car to suit the craptastic part they sell! Do they sell an “upgraded” thermostat housing machined out of billet chocolate too?

1 Like

…BWAAAAAAAAAAhahaha!!

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::laughing::crazy_face: