Brake Fluid Reservoirs

I need to replace the caps/senders on my brake fluid reservoirs. The aluminum bits on the old ones have given up the ghost, due to corrosion. The bottles are fine. Anyone have recommendations? I’m tempted to get the repros sold by XKs, as they are reasonably priced, and appear to be of reasonable quality, but I’ve never seen them in person.

My car has round bottles, which I believe is not correct for a '64 (and, oddly, it was XKs who installed the current incorrect bottles, ~21 years ago), but I would prefer, if possible, to just replace the caps and senders, and keep the bottles.

Regards,
Ray L.

Hi ray
The XKS replacements are excellent quality.
The non cork metal floats, are also tops in my view. I have had them for 3 years with no deterioration.
Cheers

The only problem I have come across is the new caps are not a good fit to the original or older bottles - thread is too large on the bottles. I took it up with Julian Barratt (SNGB own Sovy) and they have now produced some higher quality bottles to which the caps fit perfectly. You may get lucky and it is not a problem. If you have had the current bottles for 21 years and they have not leaked I suggest you keep them!

David

1 Like

I agree that the XKs are nice and the float mechanism is IMHO the best out there, but in bleeding my brakes recently with a MOTIVE pressure bleeder, I could not attach the unit to the XK bottle. I fit fine on the original.