Brake lights and turn signal lights

Hi y"all, I recently bought a 1991 XJ-S Classic and have enjoyed all the feedback on this forum. As noted above, the brake and turn signal lights were not working. I replaced the number 5 fuse under the steering column. Lights worked well this morning, but later today they went out. I have not check the fuse yet…probably blown. Where do i start looking for the gremlin?

Cruise control was working but not now. Power steering went out, but got it working with some fluid. Lovely car, but I now see why this forum is so active!

Thanks for any suggestions

Marion, guessing you’re representing majority of “active users” (also known as V12 owners).
Power steering can be excluded / won’t cause blown fuse - unless your wiring loom spins with its pulley.

In terms if electricals. Try to imagine you’re on the desert, with burning sun above you - while you’re trying to inspect 2,5 tonne water butt for any water droplets left. That’s exactly where you should start. Look for signs of water/moisture around your footwells. If somehow you are unable to find dry spot - don’t look any further, consider accidental ignition of the rag placed inside the fuel filler.

Give us some background on your car - or rather project… Mileage, condition, roadworthiness status, beginning of the issue etc…

Banger, thanks for the input. The car is in show condition with only 32k miles, and prior to purchase a Jaguar mechanic had it for about six weeks running through the car’s systems. When it was delivered everything worked just fine, but 158 miles later, these problems have popped up. There is no moisture anywhere. I’m scheduled to take the car to a local mechanic (trained Jaguar guy) late next week. I was hoping I might be able to fix the lights to safely drive it to him. Based on my car’s fuse diagram, the number 5 fuse controls those lights. I found the car had a 15 amp fuse, but the diagram says it takes a 10 amp fuse. I replaced the blown 15 amp fuse with another 15 amp fuse last night and it immediately blew. I have searched Kirby Palm’s book and done several Google searches, but I’ve failed to find where to start to solve the problem. Thanks, Lee

Lee,
Just to clarify, have you got pre or post-lift version as Ford made a “breakthrough” (lift) in specified 1991…

Banger, I have a pre-facelift 1991. I changed out the bulbs and replaced with LED. The fuse did not blow on brake or turn signal. I’ve seen where others said that when used together that’s when it blew. Going to a meeting in a few minutes and will see what happens!

Which bulbs were replaced with LEDs? Majority of these are absolute junk. Start from removing these asap. If you boutgh anything with integrated driver - this is your most probable cause.

When it pops the fuse? On ignition on - when off, or with lights on?

On another thread about brake lights, similar to your question, one recommendation was to remove all … ALL … all brake and turn signal lamps.

If the fuse still blows, then it is a wiring/connection/terminal issue which likely allows the +12V wire to on or more lights to short to ground.

If the fuse does not blow, then start replacing the light bulbs … one at a time … and testing that THAT light bulb is not a cause.

When you find a light bulb that blows the fuse, you may find a socket issue which, when the light bulb is put in, the +12V shorts to ground, unless …

Unless you have inserted most of the light bulbs and then the fuse blows and you verify that there is no socket issue, in which case leave that light bulb out and continue going to the next light bulb, If the next light bulb also blows the fuse, it may be possible that something is drawing too much current and is blowing the fuse, in which case go back and remove the first light bulbs you successfully installed (to reduce the current being drawn), then repeat the test inserting the remaining light bulbs.

If inserting a light bulb that blew the fuse before, but does not blow the fuse now, then too much current is being drawn through the circuit Something else may have been added to that circuit which draws enough current to blow the fuse.

If that is the case, then you will be on a treasure hunt to find out what was added into that circuit that is not supposed to be on it.

I had exactly the same problem the fuse kept blowing I gave it to my mechanic to sort out as he was installing a new radiator anyway, he fixed the problem by disconnecting the cruise control electronic part, the mechanical part was already removed so no problem there. The only problem was when he took the car for a test drive he crashed it! (not his fault BTW) Put the 10 amp fuse back in and fix the problem

Good morning and good news. Changing the bulbs fixed the problem. cruise contrrol still on the blink. I think I’ll clean the cruise control contacts on the switch which I had to disconnect to install the new ski slope console with cup holders. I may have a bad contact there. Will thoroughly clean the contacts and apply the dielectric grease and see what happens. Thank y"all for all your suggestions.