Brake Questions

I have a 1996 XJS with the Teves IV system and I flushed my brakes for the first time today. I used the Harbor Freight Pneumatic Brake Bleeder with Auto-Refill Kit.

Obviously things didn’t go as planned, or I wouldn’t be here.

I seemed to have no problem getting everything to work flawlessly on the passengers side, both rear and front. The tool pulled fluid without any surprises or issues. I even managed to remove the bleeder screws and apply a wrap of teflon. The rear brake had the car on (not engine) with a bar holding the brake pedal down. For the front the car was still on, (listening to the radio) but the brake pedal was no longer depressed.

I followed the order of rear passenger first, then rear driver, then front passenger, then front driver.

The amount of bubbles that I was pulling from the drivers side (both front and back) was unbelievable. I know I was using everything correctly because I did not have that issue on the other side of the car! I thought perhaps more teflon, but it didn’t help.

There are no leaks. The car drives and brakes as it should. I knew I was going to have pads that needed replacing because the brake light started popping up. I never add fluid to it, so I figured the front, or rear pads needed changing, and sure enough, the front pads were done. (I got that done as well)

Lastly, I did notice that the outer pad on the front passengers side looked like it still had half of its life left, whereas the inner pad was on its last legs. The drivers side seemed to show pads wearing consistently. Do I need to put a caliper rebuild on my to do list?

Inconsistent wear would lead me to look at the calliper pins on that side, they can get sticky. As far as the bubbles could you try the brake pedal depression routine on the a side rather than the vacuum?

1 Like

Yeah, I didn’t have a buddy today. I’ll do just that when things cool off.

Caliper pins…is that straightforward replace next time I pull the rotors?

Thanks.

Scrub that!!! Just looked and I realise that you have 4 pot callipers on the front so I would say that its a rebuild thats required, I always do both sides if I am rebuilding brakes.

Don’t we all have 4 pot calipers on the front?

My 1999XJR has a single pot on both front and rears so I was basing my original thoughts on that, dangerous move I know :frowning: