Brass plate for early XK120 glass brake fluid reservoir bracket

I had new plates made for the bracket that holds the glass brake fluid reservoir onto the inside left fender of the early XK120’s. They are nickel plated with all of the correct lettering. I will attach a picture if I can but if not I will send you the picture separately.
My cost was $30 each but I had to buy a minimum of ten. I will sell the remaining nine at my cost, plus shipping.

Mine is not plated.

Rob,

Thanks for the reply. Mine was not plated either, but Classic Reproductions in England, who had the plates made for me, told my that the originals would have been nickel plated. John Payne, the concours guru in Australia, agreed with that. I’ll attach a picture.
Have you had the car since new?

Regards,

Charlie

1 Like

I’ve had mine since 1980. I suppose this is yet another case of some were and some weren’t.

1 Like

Mine was plated. Late 1950.

Or is that “John Wayne” :grin: regardless, I stand by my advice to Charlie that these LOCKHEED plaques were brass sheet, with etched-in artwork, then Nickle Plated, and etched artwork then painted black, so I for one think Charlie has done a superb job with these, let alone at ONLY USD$30 each…
Took a bit of effort to get all the artwork 100%, given the effect of corroding rivets in the four corners…

If I needed one I would grab one, but the couple a brake fluid reservoirs I have still have good original Nickel plated plaques…

If you live in an old house, 100+, you learn early on that almost all of the brass hardware on doors and built-in cabinets were originally nickel plated brass. Nickel is very soft, and wears off relatively quickly. We remodeled a bathroom about 15 years ago, and the historically correct nickel plated brass fixtures are already wearing thin enough that you can see the underlying brass on the high spots and edges.

1 Like

I’d almost want one to stick on the metal brake bottle, on my Rover!

Rob,

I believe that all of them were nickel plated but, as another member had written, the nickel plating was very thin and had worn off.

Regards,

Charlie

1 Like

I’ll take one. I’ll send my contact info off line.

How much is shipping to 80643?

:grimacing:

Hello Charlie,
A friend has an 1950 OTS and needs one of these brass plates. We are in Sweden. Could you post here? If ok, could you please check postage as well? Payment via paypal?
Best regards
Christer B

#Roger,

Thanks for the support. Sorry about the mistake of your name, a senior moment!

Regards,

Charlie

Here’s my contribution. If you look closely, you can still see the remnants of the shiny nickel brightwork around the holes for the rivets.

Now, next question:

Looking at the 3 jelly jar brackets I have, only one has holes for this plate. Which models or years used the jar, but did not have the tag?

PXL_20201005_165322484

Mark V and Mark VII, VIII, early IX used the jelly jar but had Girling brakes so did not have the Lockheed ID plate.
My Mark V bracket has the words FLUID LEVEL with an arrow stamped onto one side.

Then there is this picture in the Mark V Owners Handbook of very likely the first prototype car.

And these in the Mark V Service Manual.

By the evidence of the steering column grommets, these are two different cars, but I have not seen the Girling plate on any other Mark Vs, so it may have been a short-lived feature, perhaps on just the prototypes.

I have also seen two glass jars on a Rolls Royce, I think it was an SC1, the second one being for power steering fluid.

It’s my understanding that the glass reservoir was used on early XK120’s until April, 1952. Aftermarket brackets do not have the plate.

Regards,

Charlie

Yes, I will check on postage to Sweden and PayPal will work for me.

Regards,

Charlie

And the next question is…what holds it on? Mine is held on by aluminum rivets, solid shank, not Pop-Rivets.

There is a word for a guy that takes parts off his car just to see the back.

Well, mine is not plated on the back.

Cleaned up a little.

Cleaned up a little more.

No plating.
Maybe like my tail light housings, it’s another case of nickel shortage due to the Korean War.

1 Like

Role model? :innocent:

3 Likes