Bucket seats...?

I’m finding conflicting info on this. I’m reading a pile of books. (yea, I know…)

'53 120 SE OTS: Were bucket seats offered as an option instead of the split bench? When did that start if at all?

Bucket Seat Assemblies (Racing Type)
BD.5893 are listed on Page 95D of the J.8 XK120 Spare Parts Catalogue, “List of Extras” Section.
It also indicates that there were special Cushions. Floorboards and Fixing Plates involved.

No specific Chassis Numbers are listed which likely makes them retro-fittable to all models.
Dick

I wonder if they were the same seats that were in my ‘rents’ Silverstone Jag?

I’ll be interested in this outcome.

In January 1959 the price list for BD5893 showed $80.65 for the pair.

Could you post a picture or drawing of the seats?

Thanks!

I don’t know how accurate, but they do look good:
Buckets #5893

Certainly resembles what was in the Silverstone: I’ll look up some pix I have if it and compare.

these are correct / accurate bucket seats including trim style excepting the standard trim material was usually bedford cord fabric but many seemed to have been done in leather.

There is version with one high side one low side. the picture below the seat is from a competition MKI this was to aid getting into the car.

These competition seats were fitted to MKVII, MKI and MKII.

Whilst these seats were fitted to the 2 factory LT cars they appeared to have slightly different trim arrangement ie a larger roll around the top of seat this applies to the factory competition MKVII’s as well.

These seats are not C type seats or LWT E types seats

There were three: my 'rent’s was Nu. 2. Certainly look just like the ones I sat on, as a kid!

There were 3 body shells built but only 2 factory cars ie your parents car the third body shell effectively was a home built car!

The seats I installed in my TC Special look like these, fairly typical. If you frequent Dunkin Donuts… forget it.

I fit into them fairly well but they are very unforgiving, translating every shift of the car to your rib cage. I can take a spirited drive of about 20 minutes before I start thinking about heading home.

I think a pair of Adirondack chairs would give more padding…:wink:

1 Like

The factory competition seats properly trimmed are remarkably comfortable we had an XK140 roadster with a set and 400km drive was quite enjoyable

Two of the LT cars were indeed built up and finished by the factory whilst the third one remained as a body only until Bob Berry - a young, keen racer - fitted it to his XK120 standard sports car.

The two factory built up cars were LT2 (My parent’s) and LT3 whilst LT1 was Bob Berry’s car.

Does anyone know if the two factory completed LT cars received chassis numbers in the 660xxx range (RHD XK120) or was it something else?

I’ll ask the current owner!

At about 9 minutes and 30 seconds into this video, Alain de Cadenet gives LT2 a nice workout.

1 Like

Someone on the list sent me a copy of that episode, when it came out!

At the time, I had not yet learned of the car’s post-Wigton history (and I found out a good deal of what I thought I knew of its past was not correct), but was thrilled to see it has been restored to its original factory glory.

So… it seems in race car trim you could or would get the buckets.

Were they available to mere mortals for base and SE models? Factory or dealer installed?

Tucurious above posts the price in 1959. Was this the first year available?

If you are taller like me
They make a huge difference room wise
If you like the style
Gtjoey1314