Bulkhead Layout 1972 Series III E-Type

Over a decade ago someone diagrammed the firewall layout for the Series I (or was it the Series II?). I used a similar format to build a diagram of the fire wall for the 1972 Series III E-Type.

HTH.

Forgive the crudity of the diagram.
Please provide feedback on errors or omissions

BULKHEAD LAYOUT 1972 SERIES III E-TYPE.pdf (146.7 KB)

4 Likes

Thanks, Craig. I did not find any errors in your first draft of this, and it will help me. Tomorrow in my shop I will see if I can help with the “unknown” and “does something mount here” entries. I think I did check the two unknown holes on the right side (left side of drawing) and found that my car had the same holes with original paint in them, suggesting there never was anything there. I appreciate your efforts on this as a supplement to my probably poor photography.

Rod

1 Like

Stunning work! Seeya tomorrow.

1 Like

I have the lights on – and the shop toasty

1 Like

BUPP!! BUPP!! BUPP!!!

Don’t tempt that dragon… :slight_smile:

Mine has the 6 holes in the center of the bulkhead (Which I bondoed over before repainting), and the bracket on the right. It lacks the “something is mounted here”. Some time ago, I think I recall hearing that some of the tooling was carried over from the Sll cars, and they had an upper engine support??

Very interesting.
That’s the first time I heard that, Bruce. I’m not familiar with the Series II engine support and how it matches up with the Series III’s unused holes. Mine are nearly covered over with at least four layers of paint I can’t even tell if the holes are threaded. A 1/4-28 bolt almost starts into the one hole with the least amount of paint.
Thanx for the feedback

Craig

I('m guess he means the bracket spot welded to the bulkhead that the engine stabilizer attaches to. See circled thing the arrow is pointing to

Thanx John.
Given that perspective, I don’t think the (threaded) holes on my Series III would line up

The topmost pair of holes (inside the rectangular raised portion) are 2-1/2" apart center to center.
The four holes beneath them (and located between the raised oblong portions) are 1" apart side to side and the pairs are 2" apart.

I don’t know if this will work:

o - - - - - 2-1/2" - - - - - - - o
-2.5"
= - = - = o -1" - o
-1.75"
= - = - = o -1" - o

SInce the Series 3 was designed to accommodate the XK6 engine (though only a handfull were ever built), I wonder if these threaded holes were indeed for a version of the engine stabilizer mount used with that engine. Perhaps it appears in the early S3 Parts List?

Now that is a very interesting and intriguing concept.
Hadn’t considered that.
Thanx David

Craig

I hope your engine build came off successfully today. In terms of checking your firewall map, my shop hours today were occupied by destroying the ozone layer with ancient R12 refrigerant and dealing with a couple of incredibly frozen lower ball joints, so I forgot to check the few remaining mystery holes.

Rod

@Wiggles doesn’t let any grass grow beneath his feet. We accomplished all we set out to do and buttoned up the oil pan with 2x bolts as a dust shield. If I had a proper tensioner on hand, we might have assembled the time chain and guides/tensioner. The one I bought from Robert is due to arrive on Wed or Thurs (01 or 02FEB23).

No worries on cross-checking the firewall diagram; whenever you find a spare few minutes.