Bump Stops Brackets and Rubber Being Modified

I have 205 tires on my 1968 OTS. The bump stop rubber on the bracket is coming in contact with my tires as seen in the picture. The car is not difficult to push so they obviously are not in contact when in normal sitting position.

I would rather not remove the brackets completely. Has anyone heard of grinding/cutting the bracket and rubber back a little? Also, it the bracket has to be cut off I have heard that there is another type of bump stop that can be installed. Any more information on this please? Any part numbers or pictures would be appreciated.

I removed the wheel and tire and them removed the rubber bumper part.

Next I attacked the metal bracket with a 36 grit belt on a belt sander. That take s the metal off fairly quickly. I reduced the depth of the bracket such t hat the self locking nuts we re flush with the edge of the bracket. I also sanded the ends back even more so the ends appeared to be beveled when look at from above. See the yellow areas in your picture below. I did this to remove any corner that could contact a tire.

Screenshot 2021-01-20 142402

Next I nailed the rubber snubbers to a 2X6 and secured that in my Work Mate, tire side of the snubber up. . I drove the head of the nails below the surface of the snubbers. Then I used the belt sander to reduce the thickness of the snubber by about 60%.

My S1 doesn’t have a bump stop bracket, so would be interested if there is an alternative.

Does the rubber buffer point slightly outwards? I seem to recall that some do and a bit more clearance can be obtained by simply rotating the rubber 180°.

I only needed to remove the rubber to run 205’s

I’ve been running my E Types with no rubber bump stock for at least 40 years, and without the metal bracket for the last 30 years with zero problems. There has never been any evidence of any unwarranted contact between the suspension components. This includes racing, hitting cubs at 100 mpg plus.etc.

Thank you. I will try this before totally removing them. Also, someone mentioned turning the rubber around in case one side sticks out more then the other.

I installed bump stop rubbers on the shaft of each of the four shocks when I removed the factory stop. Fairly short stroke available for the purpose, but better than metal to metal upon full compression.

1 Like

I want to know where you have been racing!

I ran 205/70s on my 3.8 and only needed to flip the rubber around. It’s angled so it makes quite a difference. the problem seems to vary with different cars

1 Like

…and what motor you were using to get 100 mpg…!

And wouldn’t hitting cubs mess up the bodywork?

Remove the wheel and just use a disc grinder
Shave it down flush including 3/8 on the rubber
That way they still exist and and you have tons of clearance
Shave it with the bump stop ON
Gtjoey1314

Thank you. That is exactly what I will do. I will also see if the bump stop bracket can be turned around as someone on this thread suggested.

Hi Robert,
When you do flip them around double check to see if they bump against the hub, mine didn’t so were not doing anything. Currently I have them off my car as I am trying to track down a rubbing sound, I’m not particularly concerned about not having them off but this topic has come up before and IIRC the consensus was that they should be installed.
Cheers,
LLynn

If you go on my 67 rebuild thread about a year back, its all there in pictures…once done grinding shoot it with rubber undercoating and all will look stock
Good luck
gtjoey1314

When you say bump against the “hub” what exactly are you referring to? What is the hub? I am new to this.

Hi Geoff I raced a '65 coupe, and earlier a '65 ots for 14 years, between 1993 and 2007 in the Pacific N.W. - Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland.

1 Like

It’s actually called the ‘Hub Carrier’ and is #15 in this link from SNG SNG Barratt US | Keeping your Jaguar on the road
Cheers,
LLynn

1 Like

Thank you. A picture is worth a thousand words.