Buying 2001 XJ8?

I’d like to introduce myself. I’m from the XJ-S, XK, XJ Series I, II, III, E-type forums.
I have a chance to buy an 01 XJ8 owned by a fellow JCNA member. The car is immaculate but one of the cylinders has only 40/50/LB of pressure and a knock. Somehow, although she always had the car maintained by a Jaguar dealer the engine was three quarts low according to the mechanic I talked to at the garage where it is located. I am most likely going to buy the car and I anticipate replacing the motor. I just wanted to see if there is an inherent problem with this motor that could be fixed without replacement.

Just looking for some experienced information.
Thank you,
Stephen J. Niznik

I think that car may well have a Nikasil block, so it is feasible that one calinder could have failing ceramic lining allowing high Blowby (this can be checked with the correct equipment or by a MD.
If that’s the case you could fit a steel lined post 2000 used engine, last time I looked they were about £1000 here in the U.K. OK if you are doing it yourself, probably about £2000 labour. If everything else is exceptional it might be worth it but it may well cost more than the car is worth, at least it would in theUK.
I’m sure others will have their tuppenies worth.

Neil,

From the sound of your description I think you are correct. With the loss of oil and compression this may very well be the case. I just got back from doing an inspection of the car. It is in very good condition for a 16 year old car. The only issue I found was some rust at the front jack points the rest of the car would probably score a 9 in the driven division at concourse. I can source an engine with 60,000 miles and a five year fifty thousand mile warranty ($ 2,400.00 US)and have it put in by my son and his friend but I still will have to pay them. The car starts and runs. So, I could haul it myself. All in I think I’d have $ 5,000.00 to $ 6,000.00 into it and that is where it’s value starts to top out. If someone in the Pi5tsburgh area is looking for a quick project and a great daily drive for $ 5,000.00 I think this is the car. Personally, I will probably pass. Although, if I had the garage space I would buy it and store it until I had the time and inclination to get it on the road.
Thanks for your help and be well and prosper.

The X308 V8 engine fairly flexible and is probably reasonably happy running o 7.5 or so cylinders so that would be an option with slightly lower mpg and just running it like that. That presupposes that the other 7 are still OK on compression.