C type head on Mk2

I am looking at a 1962 Mk2 and the owner told me it may have a ‘rare’ C type head on the motor. He was not sure.
Can someone advise what that would be, and if a Mk2 would have had one from factory, or not.
Is the C type head one from a C racer? How would one identify it, and what is the bonus of having one?
Appreciate any thoughts and advice.
Thanks,
John

1 Like

Should be a number on the head , think your find the C-type head starts with a E
and a C cast in to the plug well .
Don’t think you would notice much in bhp , just a few extra $$ in your pocket !

C-Type cylinder heads were the heads provided to the top of the line XK140s. They can be identified by the raised cast “C” located between the third and fourth spark plugs. The stamped numbers at the front vertical face of the cylinder head would be Gxxxx-8S.

These heads were first supplied to the C-Type race cars, but those early heads lacked the raised cast C between the third and fourth spark plugs. D-Type race cars were supplied with the C-Type head castings with the raised cast C, but those heads were further developed with larger valves and special camshafts.

The C head was available as a special order modification, listed in the Mark VII parts catalogue, and thus could have been put on a Mark VII from the factory, or even an early Mark 1, and may or may not have a serial number in front of the front spark plug.
But it was superceded by the improved B type head, which was probably on your Mark 2 originally.
Thus a C head would be a disimprovement.
It can be recognized as Mike said by the letter C in the valley, and also the part number C7707 underneath.
It is worth something to XK140 owners.
XK140%20C%20head%20008

XK140%20C%20head%20003

For those that consider their Jags to be a hobby rather than an investment the C gains COOL points like the double hump chevvy heads have–it links your car to the C JAGS and bigger valves can be installed along with bigger cams if desired.

Is there a place on this site where data of our toys is available?

cheers

There is a privately run site www.saloondata.com which I find very convenient when I want to do some research on some aspect of our cars. I find pictures of unrestored cars most helpful.

A new improved type head, was available as a spare part from the factory as early as April or May1953 (TSB95A) .as a complete assembly part ID, SD1025 with 1 5/8 valves and enlarged seats, ports; or possibly but not so listed as a spare part. As a spare it would not have an engine number stamped on it. Was this a C Type head, as a spare? The C Type car already existed, and the SB mentions installing this head on a C Type engine. It is not designated in the SB as a C Type head, nor is the C7707 mentioned. Research so far (R. Payne) shows no XK120 leaving the factory having a C head. SB163, Feb 1955 states the C head is painted red in the valley, and has a Jaguar Type C badge on the cam covers. To the question, Yes, any C head is valued more, the letter C in the valley adding more as well.
Nick

Hello Robert! Just called you Yes! I DO want the Jag bits Some I’ll use on my Jag projects and others will sooner or later need the other bits Fortunately I have acreage (much to the counties distaste) for lots of greasy bits-
cheers
Michael