C31821/1 Accel Cable Replacement

My S2 needed the extra-long C31821/1 accelerator cable, but these seem to be Not Available these days. My search for a used cable was fruitless. So, I made a custom cable using the Spectre #2433 Universal Throttle Cable. I selected it because it has a shorter clevis, and a long 36" sheath. Most cable kits seemed to have only a 24" long sheath, and/or longer clevis that would limit cable travel.

1. Install a 1/4"OD - 3/16" ID bushing on the throttle linkage, to adapt the 3/16" clevis pin on the Spectre to the 1/4" hole on the throttle linkage. (The clevis doesn’t have enough wall thickness to be drilled out to 1/4".) I used 3 wraps of 0.010" brass sheet stock, cut to the 0.195" width of the clevis, to make a bushing. No trips to the HW store!
  2. Cut the sheath to the appropriate length, following the instructions in the kit. I cut 5" off to fit my '76 XJ6C.
  3. Put the cable back in the sheath, install it. I used adhesive-lined heat shrink tubing to hold the sheath in the fitting at the footwell firewall.

At the throttle linkage end, I had previously cut about 4 threads off the end of the fitting to increase cable travel distance. To ensure the throttle linkage is fully against its idle stop tab (as opposed to against the carbs’ idle stops), I disconnected the splined connection to the carbs, bottom right of the picture.
  4. Finally, the cable tension is adjusted and the excess cable cut off. I cut the swivel off of the Spectre kit component to leave only the cable stop portion - no HW store trips! I drilled a second cotter pin hole in the Jag cable retainer, allowing it to be installed backwards and thus retain the cable. The cable is then pulled just taut, the cable stop tightened against the retainer, excess cable length is cut off, and cable end wrapped to avoid fraying. I don’t like that the force is now going through the brass cable retainer, but it works great! Finally, re-connect the carbs to the throttle linkage with the splined connector. A bit of slack should now appear in the cable, as now the throttle is against the carbs’ idle stop - I recommend you leave the slack there, as you want the carbs’ settings to determine idle speed, not the throttle cable tension.

All done, works great, and no trips to the HW store needed! :grinning:
5 Likes

Nice job, Bob. Thanks for posting the step by step.

1 Like