Cam oil pipe connection? Series III XJ6

Long story, but I am replacing the block in my '65 4.2 E. I found a good 4.2 engine from an ~'85 SIII XJ6. I will use as many of the original E parts as possible. One issue that I see is the cam oil pipe connection. On the '85 block the opening for the oil pipe, present on the '65, is cast as a solid. It appears that the '85 head uses cam oil pipes. Where do they connect on the block?

Are there any other significant differences/problems that I will have substituting the later block in my car?

thanks,
Dave Christensen
'65 E Type
2012 XK
2013 XJ

The cam oil feed comes from the oil filter block on the Series 3 XJ. You can use that block in the E-type; it has a spin-on filter (and provision for an oil cooler). Some adjustment is required, for example the plumbing of the bypass hose to the crankcase.

There are other differences as well, extra water passages for example. There’s a fair amount of info in the E-type archives, as many have made this swap.

I think you can install an E style pipe, on the SIII block: you just need the pipe and the banjo to fit it on the galley plug.

If not, the SIII filter block is good. I have a spare, plus the pipe and banjos.

The XJ6 4.2 block is longer at the back than the early engines, is that a problem on an E-Type?

Early XJ6 oil filter mounts came without oil cooler provisions. Simpler to install.

No: @L.Lynn had one in his E Type.

1 Like

Her is a good picture of a XJ6 oil feed to the cams , the pipe is XJ6 the housing MK2 Jaguar , no bending of the pipe was needed !

1 Like

I out a 87 xj6 block in line years ago. Just keep the sump and internal oil lines and the triangular bracket between the engine and transmission, it is cut to fit over the T bar crossmember. I upgraded to a spin on filter and put a tie to the oil pressure sensor unit. I’ve tried to interest XKs into creating a SS flex oil line for this conversion, but they need some additional requests from people like you and me.

1 Like

I did look in to new oil feed lines , but on a MK2 they are more or less out of sight , maybe if they develop a problem I may look into it more , think they would look cool on a e-type , as you can see them !

http://classicjaguar.com/cjparts/oilfeed.php

You presumably have a LHD, so more options than RHD

Where is the OP sender ?

DSCN3024-crop

That little alloy block allows OP sender fitment

You can also probably fit an OP sender to the main gallery, but would need an adaptor, and wont be measuring OP at the same spot as the regular sender (shouldnt make any difference …I think)

I needed to change a few parts to make it work…on a RHD

1 Like

All that needs to be done is MODIFY THE XJ6 oil pan…that is it…
And I have several modified oil pans…
I am in Phoenix…970 779 0456
quit chasing your tail
Mitch
One more time the whole xj6 engine fits…water pump and oil filter manifold with cooler and all…the only thing that needs to be done is modify the xj6 oil pan…THAT IS IT…THAT IS ALL. FOR GOSH SAKES

1 Like

Can you post a picture of the modified oil pan?