Can anyone help me identify these Jaguar axles please?

Addressing the narrow axle:
I am not an expert on Jaguar XK rear axles and have not read all the entries above completely but one observation I am familiar with is the rear track width of the Jaguar Mark 1 sedans were less than the other 1950 Jaguar sedans and guessing they are more narrow than an XK (120/140) axle.

That’s a 4-3/4" bolt circle. XKs and early saloons used a 5 on 5" bolt circle. XK disc wheels won’t fit on this axle.

In this comment I was going to add ideas for axle identification but reading more of the entries above tells me you already determined the two axles are not Jaguar.
Try Jack’s Jaguar parts*, he advertises in Hemmings, he might have an XK 120 axle, he is in Virginia.
:slight_smile:

*maybe goes by “Jagnut” in Hemmings

I measured the angle of the spring perch vs the rear cover surface. I get 100 degrees between them, so subtracting 90 degrees from that, there is a 10 degree difference between the pinion centerline and plane of the spring perch. This assumes that the pinion centerline is perpendicular rear cover. This is from a 4HA originating in a XK150.

The position of the axle on the bench was random. The measured angles are relative to 0 degrees horizontal. The spring perch angle was 63 degrees clockwise from horizontal and the rear cover 37 degrees c-clockwise from horizontal.

Thanks Mike, that is very kind. A difference of 10 degrees between the pinion shaft and the spring mount is quite a bit of angle!

Field guide to Salisbury axle ID.

Rear cover

2HA rear cover is pretty close to round with a narrow rib down the middle. The 4HA has a cover that is almost hexagonal, with a wide vertical rib.

2HA left, 4HA right.

Differential unit

The ring gear bolts on a 2HA bolt into a flange on the inside circumstance of the ring gear. The bolts on a 4HA bolt into the back of the toothed gear.

Hi James…just eyeballing the axel just reinstalled onto my 150 10deg sounds about right…but note that when the axel mount is sitting on the spring the mount wouldnt sit horizontal as its forward of center and on the slope of the curved spring…and with the wedge fitted even less so …a quick photo just taken to give you an idea…the bottom line of photo is approx horizontal and suspension is on full drop…Steve

1 Like

The ring gear on a 2HA is roughly 9-1/8" in diameter. The 4HA ring gear is about 8-3/4“ in diameter.

Thanks Mike and Steve, it is starting to make sense now.

I am chasing 2 proper axles as we speak! May as well do it properly as their is quite a bit to it!!

I’m back, after being off line for a week dealing with computer problems.

The ENV is not Jaguar, going by a strange angle bracket near the middle, and the rear of the pumpkin not being a dome, though the brakes appear to be the same as early Mark V, and the 2-1/2 Litre was catalogued as having the 4:55 ratio.