Car died, needs engine?

I have a 2015 XF with 82,000 miles on it. It lost power on the freeway and local shop says it needs a new engine. It won’t turn over, not even the gear shift will pop up. Of course it’s out of warranty and I didn’t purchase an extended one. Multiple codes came up when diagnostics were run. My local dealership didn’t offer any help. Anyone else have this happen?

Hi Jennifer, and welcome.
You really need a second opinion. Does not sound correct with that low mileage. Was there a very specific reason for that conclusion ?
Such as broken block, engine frozen ?
More details please.

I Jerry. Thanks for the welcome and your response. I think I will take your advise and get a second opinion. I was not given a specific reason, just that it would cost another $800 to find out.

To echo others… you need a second opinion.

Where are you located? There may be a fellow lister nearby, who can help.

Hi Paul. I am in the Houston, Texas area. Your help is appreciated!

1 Like

@John_Walker, you know that area: any suggestions?

I knew it 8 years ago.

I assume you too it to a Jaguar dealership and they charged you $800 to tell you the engine needs replacing. Did they tell you specifically what’s wrong? I’d think for $800 they owe you more than “you need a new engine”. IMO, they owe you a detailed report of what they found.

You might try https://www.motorcarsltd.com/ at 8101 Hempstead Road (I-10 Washington exit). In my limited dealings with them years ago I found them fair and honest.

I never dealt with these guys but I understood they are pretty good too:

John, I took it to my local mechanic and they told me this for $135. Thanks for the Motor Car suggestion. I called and they don’t have one. My second opinion local shop is calling around for me.