Car died, needs engine?

I have a 2015 XF with 82,000 miles on it. It lost power on the freeway and local shop says it needs a new engine. It won’t turn over, not even the gear shift will pop up. Of course it’s out of warranty and I didn’t purchase an extended one. Multiple codes came up when diagnostics were run. My local dealership didn’t offer any help. Anyone else have this happen?

I Jerry. Thanks for the welcome and your response. I think I will take your advise and get a second opinion. I was not given a specific reason, just that it would cost another $800 to find out.

To echo others… you need a second opinion.

Where are you located? There may be a fellow lister nearby, who can help.

Hi Paul. I am in the Houston, Texas area. Your help is appreciated!

1 Like

@John_Walker, you know that area: any suggestions?

I knew it 8 years ago.

I assume you too it to a Jaguar dealership and they charged you $800 to tell you the engine needs replacing. Did they tell you specifically what’s wrong? I’d think for $800 they owe you more than “you need a new engine”. IMO, they owe you a detailed report of what they found.

You might try https://www.motorcarsltd.com/ at 8101 Hempstead Road (I-10 Washington exit). In my limited dealings with them years ago I found them fair and honest.

I never dealt with these guys but I understood they are pretty good too:

John, I took it to my local mechanic and they told me this for $135. Thanks for the Motor Car suggestion. I called and they don’t have one. My second opinion local shop is calling around for me.