Car keeps dying while driving

1989 xjs v12 keeps dying while driving after extended periods. Will not restart until it cools back down. Even then it runs rough. Just replaced plugs wires and did a distributor service. Started fine drove about 20 mile loop and when I got home and tried to restart it after about 10 minutes it started stumbled a little and stopped. This has been an ongoing problem since I bought it a year ago. Don’t drive it much because of this.

Vapor lock?

If you have air conditioning, there should be a fuel cooler in the engine compartment to cool the fuel some and reduce vapor lock.

Others will reply with more in depth information.

James . . .
I had something similar with my '90 convertible (Marelli ignition) several years ago. the cure was to replace the crankshaft position sensor (CPS).

James,

Does your XJ-S have the Marelli or the Lucas ignition system? I think 1989 was the transition year, so it could have either one.

Paul

James,
Have you removed and replaced the fuel filter?

Paul

Bad coil perhaps?

Could be many things.
Lucas or Marelli?

If Lucas the first thing that comes in mind is the Ignition Amplifier Module and/or the Coax cable.
If Marelli crankshaft position sensor (CPS)
Debris in the sump tank and /or Fuel Filter.
A bad Coil is also a possibility.

A simple test would be to check if you have good spark when the car refuses to start.

3 Likes

Mine did that, I cleaned the butterfly value and it quit. Not an expert by any means, just a one off experience.