Car show comments

… yer still here.

:wink:

There are those who would debate that … whether I’m still all there …

1 Like

Didn’t see where Wiggs was purporting to that being the case.

2 Likes

No. I wouldn’t do that:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Now that’s funny!

(Plus 20 char)

Some comments I received over the years at shows and elsewhere about my 3.8 Coupe:-

“Wow, is that original? You’ve kept it really nice.” (right after my 7-year restoration job)

“That’s the V12, right?” (while looking at the engine, then insisting that it is)

"That’s the Jaguar V12 (explaining to wife/girlfriend while looking at engine)

“It’s got the hood for the straight twelve.” (only heard that one once)

“Why doesn’t it have any rear brakes?” (mechanic doing the safety inspection.)

“You can’t bring that in, the show’s only for old cars”. (trying to enter the annual downtown classics show where it did win Best Import.)

“Look, I’ll just give you a blank cheque. You fill in the amount.” (friend, who really wanted it but I didn’t end up selling it to.)

4 Likes

If the weather’s nice I’ll be taking my Plus 8 to a cars and coffee event at Sydney’s Centennial Park on Sunday. That will definitely be a comment I get. I don’t mind correcting - it’s when they get insistent that pisses me off. On correcting a guy once who had suggested that my 62E had a V12, he responded “are you certain?”

2 Likes

Funny, and I’ve had several variants. I now have a small collection of business cards from people who said if I ever decide to to sell to please call them before I put it on the market. One of them said something similar to the blank check comment, saying the E type was his wife’s favorite car of all time, so it didn’t matter much what I would ask for the car. His card is at the top of the list - he also has a Ferrari 275GTB and new Bentley, so I don’t think affordability will be an issue with him. :grinning:

3 Likes

Jeff, your comment reminded me of a similar experience. In July 1988, I won first in class at the concours pictured below. If you recall, that was the summer that vintage European sports cars skyrocketed in price. As I was approaching the podium, a guy threw me his business card. On the back, he had written “$125,000 cash now. Call me.” And he reinforced it by calling out, “I mean it, I want your car!”

Adjusted for inflation, that’s $282,225 today. Perhaps I should have taken it…

3 Likes

So if they had been blonde or red haired lovely ladies, it would have been wrong to mention it?

The only offensive comment is to suggest that being of African ancestry is something that should not be mentioned.

Back to topic… I was once asked if my car was a… Porsche!

Or being asked why I had not replaced the unreliable Jaguar engine with a Chevy … the person asking felt a bit stupid when I explained that it would be a downsize from 12 to 8 and that the V12 engine was a multiple Le Mans and TransAm winner …

4 Likes

Which is a rare occurance indeed, for a resin fibreglass body! :laughing:

I used to have a lot of the “vee twelve” comments with the Series 1 2+2 IL6, not so much with the V12 OTS! :laughing:

The most common question is the make, which still often just renders me speechless! (Especially if I’m wearing a JAGUAR hoodie!)

Cheers!

Hi,

Very likely also true in the Birmingham & Coventry area! :laughing:

Cheers!

I am frequently asked if my car is Porsche and when told it’s a Jaguar, invariably I get the V12 question. As soon as they hear its a six interest fades fast.

Rick OBrien
65 FHC in FL

I just tell them to count the plug wires.

Just tell them it’s the twelve-valve.

True: I’ve noticed that, too. “A six? My uncle’s old Ford van has a six.”

Wandering away…

At one of my stealth shows m–where I wandered up to the Jag after having wandered around for a while, and just listening to the comments with no one the wiser that I was the owner–I heard, “But I only see six plug wires?”

From that person’s all-knowing expert…

“The other six are on the bottom.”

:crazy_face:

3 Likes

Hi,

Yeah, with many old race cars it’s strange. F-cars, 500 Mondial and all Monzas are four-bangers, as were many F2-engines, and F1-engines in the 50’s and 60’s. Does it make them less exciting? Well maybe to some but I know sooooo many Fiat, Alfa Romeo and Ferrari four-bangers I could listen to and admire for a while.

Oh, and I do have an SS Jaguar 4-cyl engine too! :smiley:

Cheers!

I always have fun showing the Jag. Just a driver, but pretty nice. I enjoy seeing a kid take an interest. One time there was this young kid with his Mom and he was really checking the car.
Asked his Mom if it was ok he could sit in the Jag? Oh you could see the eyes light up.
Asked Mom if I could let him start the car? He loved it. Key on, wait for the clicking to stop, little choke and push this button. Maybe he will get the bug.

4 Likes

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :grin: :grin: :grin: :sunglasses: COOL Love your answer…