Carborator leak

I am trying to get a 61 E running after 23 yrs and front carb is leaking heavily out the bottom. Looks like a diaphragm leak. Does anyone know if I can replace the diaphragm without removing the carburetor from the engine?
It’s a bear getting to those 4 screws

I doubt you could do the front one that way. It’s right at the union of the two upper frame members. Just remove it. It takes about 20 minutes. Honestly if it’s been sitting for this long all those carbs are going to need to be rebuilt. It’s a couple hundred in parts and maybe 10-20 hours of leisurely work. The diaphrams are dried as are the cork side seals and they’re full of varnish.

Thanks. I was trying to see if car runs before I start rebuilding everything. I guess I will have to take it off engine
.the other two carbs are not leaking
Everything is ready for the startup except this big leak makes it dangerous
Thanks for your advice

You might have a stuck float valve due to the long time sitting. The float bowls need to be cleaned out and perhaps the valves removed and cleared out. That’s assuming the diaphragms haven’t perished.

1 Like

Yes, you can definitely do it without removing the carbs. I did all three of mine about a year ago. It was quite easy - MUCH easier than removing the carbs.

Regards,
Ray L.

Thanks Ray
Would i do this through the top or bottom of the carb?

Thanks John
I did check float , removed cover and bowl was dry. I put some gas in bowl and it drained out bottom of Carb so it must be diaphragm

Do you know how to change diaphragm ? Can i change it in place?

Through the bottom. IIRC, removing the trumpets and fuel rail gives you a little more room to work. Disconnect the choke linkage, remove the fuel pipe, overflow pipe, and bowl cover. Remove the four slotted screws on the bottom of the cab body that hold the diaphragm and bowl to the carb body. The front carb is actually quite easy. The rear one a little harder due to tight space, and limited access. But even it was not too hard. I think it took less than an hour or so to get all three off, and only a bit longer to put them back on.

Regards,
Ray L.

Fantastic You are very helpful

I will try it tomorrow and let u know what happens

Im anxious to see if car starts, but this leak is just too much to try until i fix this

And by luck i found a diaphragm in an öld box of parts

Thanks for your help and instructions

I did this once on a friend’s XKE. I did it on all three carbs and the back one was tough. Since there is a juggling trick about the diaphragm, the spring and lining up the bottom pieces so they all go back together correctly, I found som long screws I had the were the right pitch, took off the heads and used those to align everything so I could use the original screws to finally clamp the whole thing down.

IIRC, I used all four long, headless alignment “studs” to get everything set up. Holding the whole mess aligned, I then took out one and put the in the correct screw. When that was near tight, but loose enough so I could correct any problems arising, I took them out one by one and put the correct ones in.

1 Like

Do NOT use an old diaphragm - it may fail in short order. Get new Viton ones from Joe Curto, and you’ll never have to do this again. They are about $25 each, and worth every penny.

Regards,
Ray L.

If you are buying parts get new springs for the diaphragms as well.

A million thanks gentlemen
Many very wise ways of doing this task that can prevent the frustration i feel at times with this project i have taken on during this lockdown

I got this car 40 years ago and now trying to resurrect it . My mind has gone blank on

Many of these mechanical issues… The manuals i have are subpar and my Eyesight is poor

Thanks to the internet, jag lovers and your kindness i may be able to resurrect my long lost love.

Will keep u posted on my progress

Thanks again

1 Like