Carbs ar whistling

Not very tunefully either. Had a vacuum leak and a bit of backfiring. Limped home. Isolated the leak and now the carbs, which whistled a bit before, are now much noisier. Appreciate any thoughts.
Note: Noise is louder with opening throttles. Thanks, Paul (72 XJ6).

Both carbs or just one? Could be an induction leak. You might try using a length of tube to pinpoint the source by ear?

Frankie

Whistling is high speed air through a narrow gap, Paul - plain air noise itself is not necessarily avoidable. Frankie’s suggestion is good advise - to verify if the whistling is at the throttle gap or somewhere illicit.

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Yes, thanks for the thought. Took a while to get back, I tried the tube earlier and found it to be the rear carb. Paul.

Yes Frank, I began chasing around for vacuum leaks and found the pitch of the whistle varies if I break a vacuum seal. There must have been an insidious leak in the cabin air management circuit - now isolated - as the idle has improved and I picked up a couple of inches of mercury on my vacuum gauge. Whistle really only presented when I removed the AED. More fettling required! Thanks, Paul.