Carburetor leaking

Hello- This is my first post, so I may sound a bit lost. Thanks for taking this into consideration. When I fired my 67 xke up to change oil for the season I noticed a gas leak at the middle carburetor near what I think is the fast idle screw. I have a picture, but am not sure how to show it.

Looks like a leaking diaphragm.

And if so, the carb has to come out in order to install a new one.

And if you do the one, you may want to do the other 2 as the incremental work is not that much and the other diaphragms may be at the end of their life too

Dennis
69 OTS with triple SU’s

Thank you very much. I will take care of it. Best,

Lewis
Sent from my iPad

If not done to your knowledge it might be worthwhile to strip and rekit. I have not long done our '72 XJ6 and it has never run better or smoother in 32 years. Have a look at sucarb.co.uk. Welcome, incidentally. Paul

1 Like

Actually, it doesn’t. Last Spring, after 20 years of service, I figured my diaphragms were due for replacement. The carbs were, otherwise, in excellent condition, so I saw no need to do a full rebuild. It is quite easy to remove the bowl assemblies and diaphragms leaving the carbs in place, and it saves a LOT of time.

You can get new Viton diaphragms from Joe Curto for about $25 each.

Regards,
Ray L.

Ray is right about that but I guess I am of the school that needs to have it on the bench and would then do some work at the same time like new teflon throttle bushings, centre the jet properly, new float bowl gas valve etc…

But I have to say that I have never been able to put a new jet and diaphragm in on the bench without having to recentre the needle of the piston in the jet assembly. I guess it can be done with carb in place but I have the time to take out the carb.

Thanks Ray for the correction

Dennis

Fascinating website! Thank you. Lewis
Sent from my iPad