Carburettor Solenoid Spring Clips

I’m not sure if these retainer clips are available. Has anyone tried making them? Looking for advice on how to… Thank you.

john

Do you have access to originals?

Drill a hole through a rod for the upper part and bend the rest up with pliers and then harden the wire :thinking:

I bought some from Burlen UK a couple of years ago https://burlen.co.uk/

The part number may be 3215 or 3265 or 1692. Also used on early Mark VII and the '38-'48 pushrod engine cars.

Thank you all.

I’ll check with Burlen, though, the website didn’t show the clips.

Dave, I have a drawing that shows the measurements. I thought one would start with spring wire then heat and bend it to shape. But that might change the properties of the spring wire. It would be easy enough to make it from ordinary steel wire. I do not know how to harden it, but will check Youtube, etc. Thanks.

john

Type in either 3265 or AUC 3265 into the search box on the Burlen UK they show in stock.
Mike

Hardening steel is easy, heat it up so it glows and then throw it into oil or water. If you want black, quench it in old oil; if you want shiny, try water and then polish. Better make a few trial pieces. I‘d enjoy it.

Then you probably need to anneal it in case it becomes too brittle which it probably will. For that you need to warm it up until the color starts to change. Straw, then the deep blue that is hard to get right but looks so good.

What gases do you use?

Thanks Dave. I’ll try that if I cannot find it. As it appears, the place XK-SS suggested has them for about $10.

john

What do you mean?

I only have a propane torch and too much time. The two combine well. I wouldn’t like oxy but a wood fire would surely work. It can be primitive and most will depend on the wire.

Springs are often made of 1065 or 1080 spring steel, also known as music wire.
I have used a propane torch to relax an extension spring that was overstretched; I compressed it with a bolt and nut through, heated it up, let it cool, and it was back to normal length and strength.

1 Like

You answered the question. You use propane. If oxyacetylene is used, you have the added ability to impart surface hardness with a carburizing flame and of course heat the steel to cherry red much faster than propane or butane.

1 Like

Bob, I have some #25 piano wire on hand (1.5mm in diameter). I got a whole box of it awhile back for heater controls for another car. I think I’ll give it a try.

john