Carpet attachment methods

How are the carpets attached most seem to be laying loose but I’ve seen some with pins or buttons in the corners, apparently the buttons are riveted to the floor I’ve never seen these rivets what’s everyone doing . Thks

The buttons consist of two parts. The female parts fit in pre-punched holes in the floor of the car. They protrude out the underside of the floors by about 1/2". There is a male part that goes though the carpet (you’ll have to punch a small hole through the carpet, I used a #2 Phillips head screwdriver) and fit in the female part you’ve already installed.

The female part is BD22665 and the male is BD40871.

BD22665 Carpet Stay, Female | Moss Motors

BD40871 Carpet Stay, Male | Moss Motors

1 Like

I see I’ve got new after market floors in my car, there fairly old but they don’t have any accommodations for these carpet buttons that I’m aware of
Anyone have a pic of the install
Years ago I ordered carpet buttons and they’ve resided in storage , Didn’t have a place for them no holes in the carpets etc. :man_shrugging: Thks

Hello Jim,
I’m a bit under the weather at the moment, but I can get you a picture in a few days.

What model is your car, as the attachment method varied. Some late Series 3 cars for example, used strips of Velcro.

The type of attachment used for the BD22665 part, shown in John’s link looks like a Thimble with a hole in the centre of its top surface and is tall enough to accommodate the length of the spigot component of the BD22665 part. Underlay of sufficient thickness to come at least to the top of the BD22665 part when assembled is a must.

Regards,

Bill

1 Like

John Walker covered this. If you pull up your carpets, the holes in the floor should correspond with the very front edge of the carpet, on the ridge, and about 2" from the back edge of the carpet.

FWIW, the carpets in mine were aftermarket, and a few inches short in the front, so they would not reach the front buttons.

The original carpet fasteners (two per carpet nearest the seat end) were metal with a spring clip and are more commonly known as ‘push button panel clips’ used extensively in car trimming of the period and are still available today. They would have been cheap and readily available in period which would have appealed to Mr Arthur Whittaker, Jaguar Chief Buyer. The matching sockets were a white nylon material. These photos are of clips and sockets removed from early production cars:

This clearly shows the socket protruding under the floor:

The Spare Parts Bulletin issued in November 1963 says cars 850772/861325/880412/889347 onwards “incorporate Carpet Fasteners identical with those used on Mark 10 cars” - eight in total and gives them part numbers BD22666 and BD22665 - replacing the two clips used previously. These are the plastic plugs and sockets which are commonly seen and are still available although not to the original pattern. Searching on those part numbers shows them to be no longer available and superseding to a non Jaguar part number. The change is noted in Clausagers Book ‘Factory Original Jaguar E-Type’ as “Oct 1963 - Carpet fasteners changed to plastic studs; SPB P.100”.

The original style spring clips are still available:

David

1 Like

Mines a 1967 s1 Thks I’ll be waiting something I’ve wanted to know for years

Mine was like that on the driver’s side. When I secured the carpet in place with the stays the plastic part was like a trampoline. I tried stretching the piece, but it was never right and eventually the plastic part developed a split. I contacted OSJI, which WAS NOT where I originally bought the carpet set and asked them if they sold individual pieces. After they responded in the affirmative I asked them if they could make a driver’s side piece 1-1/5 inches longer than the usual piece. They again responded in the affirmative and did so for their standard price, no additional charge. They are great people to work with, IMO.

Of course I’m sure my carpets will be the same Thks for the heads up
I don’t have the holes or any type of mount that’s the problem

Funny, I bought replacements for my aftermarkets from OSJI, and they were the correct length (about 3" longer than my old carpets).

Heres the mount that goes on the floor - at least for 2+2’s- to receive the button. Bought these from Robey because the replacement floor panels don’t have them in place. Ive got 2 left over if anyone wants them

1 Like

Yes, and those are unique to 2+2s and maybe all Series IIIs

No S3 cars had these, all having numerous, small, upside down, Top Hat shaped pegs, (circa 5mm brim and 2mm hat part), induction welded to the floor. A special expanding collet type buttons then attached to these pegs through the carpet. These buttons are not available.

A relatively small number of late S3 cars had the carpet held in place, from the factory, by Velcro strips. The small number comment is based on the very few S3 cars I’ve seen, that were definitely unmolested, compared to the number observed using the small Top Hat peg attachment method.

These same Top Hat pegs are used on the underside of the car to attach the fuel and brake line plastic clips

Regards,

Bill