Cathouse Spares in Oz

Hi Paul, making this prototype has been interesting, but making a lot of them and it turns into a job, and I’m retired! Has anyone heard from Johnjohn lately? He seems to have vanished.

1 Like

Apparently hasn’t posted since October 26. I hope he’s OK.

There was discusion about a stainless header tank…has anyone found a compatible tank from other sources such as a car other than Jaguar

That’d be a tall order. It’s a more plausible proposition to simply make one. It’s just a tank. Any local fabricator could probably put together an aluminum or brass one for you.

I’ve noticed too that some of his items on there have apparently sold out and he hasn’t relisted them in a few months. Worried, too … :worried:

LOL @ “felt sorry for me” … I don’t think I have ever heard of THAT response from anyone in regard to our cats … :laughing:

1 Like

I braved the cold yesterday and looked at the OE crossover pipe. Then down to the basement and did some fabrication. This really is as far as I can go until I take off the old crossover.
The original thread and photos suggested using ninety degree hoses on each end of the main pipe, thus making installation less of a headache. I have two hoses on the way, Dayco 70982. Or I can go back to the metal nineties. We’ll see. The “B” bank connection is lower than the “A” side, but there might be enough flex in using hoses to allow for that.
I also plan on making a direct connection to the header tank, eliminating one 90 degree hose, and the curious question mark shaped metal tube. This setup does have a purpose, though. It allows for the fact that the engine can move around, and the header tank cannot. The new hose will be long to allow for that. The hose to the header needs to be 1/2 inch, so I stepped down from the copper tubing , and used a double flaring tool to enlarge the business end. The connection to the water pump is one and a half hose, obtained locally I hope.
Now we wait for Spring. Back to the Honey-do list!

3 Likes

A well sweated copper pipe joint is very strong…
Carl

JohnJohn posted today in the V12 forum. Good to know he is still amongst us

1 Like

Phew. Thanks for letting us know! :relieved: btw, wish someone would ask him when is he going to restock some of his custom-made parts?

Today I remembered that I didn’t throw away the old crossover pipe. I added it to the pile of “You might need this to make a copy” items. So, another step forward.
As we do not have a photo album anymore, the only way to post photos is randomly, like this. If someone searches the archives, there won’t be any photos to see. For the benefit of anyone wanting to make a crossover, then, a bit more info.
The OE crossover is one inch O.D. The copper tubing in the photo is one inch I.D. Consequently, using a one inch I.D hose would be awkward to say the least. The hose in the pic. is one and a sixteenth I.D. and is long enough in both directions to reach everything easily. I think assembly of the new crossover, with a ninety degree hose at each end should be very easy.

Darn. Posted wrong photo!

Most copper tubing is 1/16" wall thickness, and for freon lines in commercial A/C installations the “odd” sizes are used: 5/8", 7/8", etc. Hence, visiting a supplier of commercial HVAC equipment might yield pipe of the correct size for this job. I’d think you’d need to go with freon sizes for the entire pipe, though, because I doubt if you’d find any fittings to connect freon pipe to water pipe. Who knows, maybe the freon pipe would have fit that radiator cap better?

I don’t have any experience in the commercial A/C field, so I’m working with what’s readily available around here. Actually I’m lucky that there is a real plumbing contractor in this little town, and I have done lots of business with them in the past. Yeah, perhaps a freon pipe would have fit the filler cap better- I’m just happy that things are coming together as nicely as they are! The two connections still have to wind up being close to one inch to connect to the water rail manifolds, so I’m ok with what I have.

Dave, you can go in and delete the incorrect photo if you wanted to (prior to admitting you’re a clutz :smiley_cat:) but it give a bit of clarity to what you are doing.
Would a crox flare help with the pipe retention?

Robin, I don’t recognize the term “Crox flare”. Google isn’t much help either. Perhaps you could explain.
Everything is being silver-soldered together, so I don’t think it will come apart.

Increases the external diametre of copper tubes I was thinking of the transition from copper to rubber hose.

Ah. Interesting. If you look at the upper pic you can see the two rings waiting to be placed at the ends of the tubing and soldered. The lower photo shows the rubber hose has expanded where it passes over the one soldered ring. When I made my original repair to the OE plumbing it did try to blow itself apart as the pressure rose in the system, and the only thing that prevented a disaster was that the vertical fill pipe contacted the underside of the hood and could not blow off. It won’t happen again.

If you are capable with soldering you can duplicate the effect by soldering a nipple on the end of the pipe. Somewhere in the following website link I referenced that process.

1 Like

Looks a bit like one of them things ’ them young ones’ smoke that funny baccy out of.

Cool trick! I have also soldered on a ferrule, for the same purpose.