Central Locking not working for rear doors or Trunk

Hi guys,

My central locking isn’t working on my 84 XJ6 for my two rear doors & the trunk. What could be the issue? Where are the relays so I can check them?

The front passenger door works fine, as does the driver’s door. Any help on fixing this issue would be appreciated!

There are no relays on the ‘84’, Tyler…

The ‘Kiekert’ motor system is used; as you turn the door key a rod operates the control unit in the driver’s door. The control unit sends a brief power pulse to all motors to turn the door and boot motors. Polarity is reversed for lock and unlock…

Possible factors; rear door and boot motors has failed - or wiring has failed. Removing trim at ‘A’ pillars footwell will give access to further testing - basically ‘left’ or ‘right’ doors together…

…or the ailing door motors are maladjusted. To check; lock the doors with the ‘paddles’ - the unlock using the key. Next ‘unlock’ the doors - and try locking with the key. If either operates the locks; motor adjustment is needed.

…or; the mechanisms is stuck in gunge - the motors cannot overcome the resistance.

…or; the child locks are engaged on the rear doors - though in principle this only disables the inside door handles…:slight_smile:

To access the motors; removal of the door trim is required…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

There are. I have solenoid locking. Not Kiekert, no motors: two relays in the A pillars’ kickplates.
I could think of a wiring fault for the three locks in the rear. Neither locking nor unlocking?
You can examine the boot unit first: does it do anything at all? Mind that it originally didn’t unlock per Jaguar.
Door cards is doable, but the fault could be anywhere between the relays and the locking mechanism.

Also make sure that the thermal ‘otter’ circuit breakers are functioning correctly.

bob

I’ll take a look at the relays today - the rear doors and the trunk don’t do anything. Don’t know why there’d be a wire issue… I haven’t touched anything back there, so I assume it is the relays… but I’ll report back once I take a look.

What are the otter circuit breakers? Where are they?

Where are the Kick plates for the A pillars? Mine are just carpeted?

Below. I think you have to remove part of the furflex and the parket (two screws), I think the relays are below. If you’re lucky and that is the right information.
Don’t know about otter switches but for the windows (maybe they are not for the windows after all!) but wiring faults can and will develop while the relays should switch all doors or none. If there’s a common wire for the rear doors + trunk you basically won.

Tylerwerrin,
Remove the carpeted pieces and beneath them you will find the door lock relays for the door lock solenoids. The one on the left side in a LHD car is the “unlock” relay and on the right side is the “lock” relay.

This only pertains to the solenoid system. The later (1986-1987?) cars have a motorized Kiekert dooe lock/unlock system that does include these relays.

Paul

Frank,
My 1984 XJ6 VdP and 1985 XJ6 VdP parts car both had the solenoid door lock/unlock system with the relays in the lower A pillar area. I am not certain of exactly when the Kiekert motorized system was installed but the 1986 or later SIII cars I have owned had the Kiekert system installed.

Paul

Bob,
Those thermal breakers are for the power windows and not for the door lock/unlock system.

Paul

1 Like

You are correct. I looked at the Figure 20.1 in the electrical guide.
I used to remember a lot when I worked on these everyday.

Now I see one once a year!!

bob

I stand corrected, David! ‘85’ was the transition year from solenoids to motors …:slight_smile:

In either case; ‘A’ pillar trim is the access point.

With solenoids; one relay locks all doors and boots (orange/green) - the other rely (orange/red) unlocks doors. The boot does not unlock.

The solenoids are very powerful and robust, and seldom fails. There is no thermal fuse on the solenoid central locking system…

Tyler’s symptoms are ‘unusual’ - to say the least…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)