Changing oil filter to 90’ type. In a hot rod

Hi
I am building a 1927 T bucket and my drive line is all 1974 s2 xj6. I am using the engine, automatic and rear end. Using all the gauges and as much of it as I can. The car was rusted out.

The issue I have is that I need to get the engine lower but the oil filter canister is in the way.

Has anyone used the Mossman kit or is there another option.
Thanks heaps.

3 Likes

This is the kit I was referring to.

I don’t know what series this is off or if it will work. Any ideas? Thanks.

The one in your picture is out of a Mk2 Jaguar and others, I expect. They interchange amongst the six cylinder engines. You just need to select the correct gasket and we can help with that.

I can send a picture if necessary, to give you an idea about clearances as they are in a Mk2.

That would be great. Thanks.

So from what I have been able to learn on this forum I need to check how many bolt holes it has etc to figure out what will fit etc. I’ll have a closer look this weekend.

I have a 3.8 (1962) and a 4.2 (1972) that both have the same XJ6 Series 3 filter head with the Series 3 spin on filter fitted. These project outward so won’t suit your application.
The point is adaptations are pretty forgiving.

Mk2’s are really tight in the engine bay. Hope this is of some use. It’s the arrangement in your picture.

Thanks, that is a great help. I’ll start looking to source one of those i think.

What country are you located in?

4 bolt filter heads fit any block. The important thing for your purpose is to to avoid the early model mounts that had an internal bypass. Later mounts all had an external hose that dumped into the sump.

Do a search for @Wiggles Jee-Type conversion posts. I think he used the same XJ6 power.

1 Like

I did nothing special on the Jeep: I just used the stock S3 filter block

Welcome, Sammj.

I’m not familiar with the Mossman kit, but as Paul says; the series 3 filter is changed downwards - and is a direct fit on all xk engines. Getting an assembly off a wreckers is a good idea, and you will also get a look to see eventual problems related to your special requirements.

The kit may do just the same - I just don’t know…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Maybe there are different ones, but on mine, the filter is horizontal (I think).

1 Like

Series 3 filter sticks straight out, as it does on the earlier XJ6.

XK-140 water pump

1 Like

What country are you in? If you are in the US, I might have something you can use.

In the picture that you posted of the engine on the stand you can clearly see the by-pass hose mentioned by Mike. The 4.2 sump accommodates same - has to be external.

on the series 2 XJ6, there is a downward and upward facing option, which will accept various generic filters

Shown in S2 XJ6 Parts manual

A MKX/420G item points straight down

It seems the Moss solution would be the “easiest” and possibly cheapest

You have a rod, so practicality is the best bet, spin on is easier to change the old cannister style