Cheap 50s Radios

Description: Long kept. Use for cores or to fill space. I will part out for you to reduce shipping cost.

Brackets sold separately, $12 each.

Asking price (if selling): $12 each plus shipping.
Lots of Xa, Xb, cables, and even a few antenna parts. Amplifiers $12 each.

Last call, these go to landfill if no interest.

Contact information: chris.jerbic@gmail.com

Cost of shipping (if selling): $16 USPS each

Willing to ship worldwide? Yes

Please always be careful before sending money or valuables to someone you don’t know. Use an escrow service if you’re not 100% certain of the identity and integrity of the person you’re dealing with.

By using this service you agree to resolve any and all disputes with the other party directly, and to indemnify and hold Jag-lovers harmless from any claims, losses, liability, or expenses (including attorneys’ fees) that arise from your use of Jag-lovers and this service.

Chris,

Thanks again for the bracket, it’s a perfect fit.
What size is the speaker? If it works, I’d like it too.

You’re my favorite customer! It’s 7 ½ by 4 ½. I have to think about how to test it, if you need it tested.

-Chris

Sent you a pm, thanks.

I’ll take the bottom one here, if not already spoken for

That’s interesting. I’ve never before seen a radio with the AM “dial” reversed.

Actually, the reason is quite simple. These are British radios. The one at the bottom is a Radiomobile model 4200 series 4201 or something like that and the one above it I think is a 200X series. In the UK, where these radios were made, the scale on AM radios are always marked by the wavelength ie in metres. And what’s more, we like to have the low numbers on the left and the high numbers on the right.
If you live in the US, you will be used to seeing your scales marked in frequency (actually, in hundred of kHz or MHZ or MCS as it was then/10). But here’s the rub. You in the US also like to have your scales with the low number on the left.
Unfortunately, there is a reciprocal relationship between frequency and wavelength and so without completely redesigning the radio, a US market version of a British radio inevitably gets a scale with the high numbers on the left, so it looks odd to you.
From a manufacturing point of view, it’s much easier to screen print a different scale than it is reverse the tuner mechanism.
BTW, both those radios need a separate power unit/amplifier but it’s a different one for each radio.
That was probably much too much information!

2 Likes

Fellow radio geeks rejoice:

http://www.bobine.nl/jaguar/13-electrical/radiomobile-radios-for-jaguars-1948-to1961/

Not at all, It was interesting. Thanks for sharing it.