Chrome Plating for Bumpers

It’s time to get the bumpers and motif bar re-plated. Since there aren’t any platers left in Denver I was thinking of using Speed and Sport Chrome in Houston. If anyone has experience with them please send me a personal message.

Try Googling “chrome platers in Denver area”. I got a bunch of results that way.
Also, ask any collector car person you know or run across about platers in your area. There has to be a good plater or three in the greater Denver area.

There is one plater left in Colorado and they don’t do things as big as the rear bumpers. Believe me, I’ve asked everyone.

The next closest is Ogden Chrome in Ogden Utah but they gave me a 7 month wait time.

Herb

I had all my chrome done there. It was okay. One part was lost, a couple more were ruined as they sanded off too much, like literally right through the license light trim pieces. The bumpers were fine though. That’s a hard part to ruin or loose. Be sure you’re happy with your fitment before sending off as you don’t want to be grinding on freshly chromed parts.

Quality plating, is out in Yuma: I’ve used them over the years and they’re pretty good.

Herb22

I had very good service from D&R Chrome in LA.

https://www.dandrchrome.com/

What I liked about them is they visit three major car shows in Colorado annually with a semi-truck trailer full of common bumpers and stuff (55-56-57 Chevy’s and such) for exchange. They will accept your pieces at a show and will typically be able to have them ready for the next show.

FEB - Tri-State Swamp Met in Denver
Jun-Jul(?) - Hot Rod Nationals at Pueblo Fair Grounds
SEP - Good Guys Show in Loveland

This saves shipping and gorilla-armed handlers at FEDEX/UPS/USPS etc.

I had my bumpers (SIII) and a small pile of bits done by them (met in Pueblo).
Picked up my stuff in Denver. (They were ready in 2-3 months but I didn’t want to ship 'em.)
There were 5 pieces that I asked to have redone. No problem. No charge - done in 5 weeks; but I didn’t want to ship 'em so I waited til next show.

/
/

/
/
These are the small join covers for the SIII headlight trim

1 Like

I use Pulido Plating in Balch Springs, Texas (south Dallas). Family operation…good rep.
They’ll do three stage (nickel copper chrome) or heavy nickel (no copper) plus chrome. I have some spares over there right now…a windshield “hocky stick”, a windshield upper trim piece, and a spare rear bumper blade. Supposed to be ready next week. They are experienced at removing bends, dings and scratches prior to plating. Every single chrome item on my '64 was done by them during the restoration of my '64 a few years back. Never lost a part out of at least a hundred items…took photos when I dropped off the parts. I’ll PM you with photos and latest impressions after I pick up these parts.

2 Likes

Fit your parts first. Then tell the plater…NOT to help you out by straightening them.

3 Likes

Bill,

The bumpers, overriders, clamshells, and motif bar have all been fitted to the car after all bodywork was done. Just need to know a good plater now.

Herb

Thanks Eric, Beautiful FHC.

The folks out in Yuma no longer do larger stuff?

Just recently, they did all the chrome for a friend’s 120, and my front bumperette on the Jeep.

What!..… you been doing work on the Jeep…. Is it all done now!

1 Like

It’s as done as I’m gonna do!

I hope BaT accepts it, later this summer…:wink:

Good stuff photo?

1 Like

Once you have to ship somewhere, it opens up some options. These folks did a nice job and have very large tanks!

Evidently I got some bad information. Do you recommend them for their quality?

Herb

They’ve always done good work for me: their waiting month is usually about 6 to 8 months long.

My last trip out there, they certainly had large pieces of chrome, like bumpers off of 50s American cars, there to do.

@Confused1 can talk to the work they did on his 120.

In my opinion they did a fine job on all the 120 bits they completed,
They started on one of the front bumpers, however, decided it was too twisted and wrinkled to continue working on. Apparently it had been repaired previously and in order to get it right the mounting brackets welded to the back of the bumper had to be removed, bumper straightened then the brackets replaced. It was more work that they wanted to do and the cost would have been prohibitive. So now it makes sense to find a used one that is straight (any ideas) or buy a reproduction.
I also took them the windshield frame, I have an OTS, however, they said they couldn’t/wouldn’t plate the aluminum posts, but “they knew a guy who could”, I decided to look for another option.
Outside of those two exceptions they plated every chrome piece on the 120.
As Paul mentioned, the turn-around was 8 months and as far as cost I have no comparison, but at this point in my restoration process I find it pointless to ask.

2 Likes