Clip-on Side view mirrors for series 1 XKE

First, let me say that I always thought these were very ugly and I’d never have one. But , with my new (to me) '64 XKE OTS I find that even the driver’s side mirror is sorta worthless, and the passenger’s side view mirror is completely worthless. I I have no plans to remove them, but they are pretty useless. So, I’d like suggestions for a a clip on side view mirror, for at least the driver’s side, if not both sides. They are a must on the Houston freeways. Thank you for your advice. Steve

I have been using a “clamp on” mirror that I got from SNG a few years back and it has worked great. They must be attached to the window frame on the FHC rather than the drip rail (not a worry for you). The connector that goes between the window frame and the padded glass piece in the frame needs to be ground down a bit to fit deeply enough into the slot. @Erica_Moss showed me how to do it properly.

—Drew

1 Like

I got the ones in the photo from XKS (Moss). They’re made by “TEX”…several mirror shapes. If you search “clip-on mirrors” you’ll find other photos and mounting discussions. I just recently ditched the slippery plastic isolators in the joints with rubber o-rings, thereby finally getting them to hold a set position. Minor stuff. I also modified the attach bracket to a reverse “U” to keep them from bouncing along the body work if they happen to come loose from the door frame. It’s all in the archives.

1 Like

I use the clamp ons and find them great. One thing I found was all the ones available from the usuals in the US were flat mirrors, which makes the passenger side somewhat worthless. But Fosseway in the UK sells one with a convex mirror which works much better on the passenger side.

3 Likes

I bought that Fosseway mirror a couple months ago. Good mirror, slight convex. Good size, good shape, multiple adjustment and tensioning. screws, Had to grind the “U” clamp a little to insert fully, nbd. And low wind noise.
I did see a bullet shaped clamp on at Amazon or Ebay wirh convex glass that i was going to try but sticking with this one.

1 Like

Thanks guys! Just want to confirm that the Fosseway mirror works well on both sides. Thanks again for your information and prompt help. Steve

I only got 1 mirror-convex for the driver side.
I believe he recommended convex for driver and flat for passenger side, not sure.
Nice guy.

1 Like

I think it should be the other way around. A flat mirror far away from the driver’s eyes gives sort of a tunnel view and doesn’t let you see the blind spots. Up close to the eyes on the driver side you get a broader perspective. That’s why passenger side mirrors are always convex, or at least I’ve never seen one from the factory that isn’t.

3 Likes

All left hand drive vehicles I’ve seen have the convex mirror with the “Objects in mirror are closer than they appear” warning on the right side mirror.

The filmmakers took a bit of artistic license when they put the mirror on the left, driver’s, side.

3 Likes

NHSTA sets specifics requirements for rear view mirrors. § 571.111 Standard No. 111; Rear visibility, specifically states that the driver side mirror shall be flat, and defines field of view requirements for the passenger side that are met with a convex mirror, and defines the curvature and requires the “Objects in Mirror” warning.

1 Like

WOW!! Thanks again guys, I really learned a lot about these mirrors. s

Ah, there is no topic on JL too mundane for a deep dive down the educational rat hole!

4 Likes

Ah, Into the vortex we go, thank you Bernoulli. s

1 Like

Yeah, understand what your saying and i know the warning labels.
But, the very slight convex nature of my drivers mirror works great. The last little clamp on one i had was also convex and without that wouldn’t have seen much.
Here’s the note from Simon at Fosseway.

“ Hello Layne

I can add them easily but will need to send a revised invoice and additonal payment link. Do you want flat or convex mirrors or a combination of both? If it helps, most people put a flat lens on the passenger side and a convex on the drivers side.”

Hey i know, buy one each and try them on both sides and keep the combo you like best!

1 Like

…everyone also drives on the wrong side of the road where Simon comes from, but it doesn’t make it right… :grinning:

3 Likes

Good one!
Works good though.

1 Like

Just attached a new Fosseway clip on mirror to my '64 OTS. Easy install and looks period correct. Passenger side/convex. Not clear about convex v. flat plane. So far I love it. Again, thanx guys. Steve

Can you share a few photos ?

1 Like

1 Like

Marco, Sure, if I can remember to read the note I just wrote to moi! s